mctavish132

Reaction score
What Type of cichlid is this? cannot seem to identify him

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 50
Juwel cichlid springs to mind.

That would be a Red Jewel. Highly aggressive african cichlid that does best in the same type of waters as SA cichlids. Very hard to stock around as they go from docile to psycho in 0.25 seconds.

psycho is an understatement, I had a pair in an outdoor pond and unknown to me they decided to breed in a log in the pond. The first clue I had that something was amiss was when I saw my beautiful large comets tails absolutley shredded. Needless to say the Jewels got short shift into a new tank with thier fry and later given to somebody else who wanted to breed the aggro litlte blighters.

Wow of course no one told me this at the fish store when I bought him. :/ I have had 5 cory cats completely dissapear in the last month with no sign of body or anything has been a complete mystery to me. (been doing lots of water changing to compensate the possibility of the bodies still being in the tank, but I have looked everywhere)The missing fish started happening around the same time I Got this little guy but haven't seen him act aggressive towards anyone really. I'm moving all my fish to a 90 gallon tank so I'm hoping I will be able to keep him as long as it's just the one jewel and keep a close eye on him? Do you guys think it that would be ok?

On its own without a mate or potential mate it should be more peaceful, but its no certinity.

I have had several of these guys over the years. All started out ok, and all ended up being very aggressive when they got big. I was able to keep one in a 6 foot tank with some really big assorted S.A. Cichlids, like Jack Dempseys and Pike Cichlids.

I've taken in a couple of these over the years and have always kept them on their own; they just can't be trusted with other fish, IMHO.

Most reactions

Back