Fish Id

richard t

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am always in my lfs in my area, and this is the first time i have seen a fish just like this one.
basslet__4_.JPG
Maybe some type of Dottyback or Basslet?
It is 1" in length and the body is slender. It has a orange back with a yellow stripe running down the middle of it's head. It's flanks have a purple flash surrounded by a red boarder. It's belly is white and coverd with pale blue spots. :drool:
I just had to get it. ( impulse buy) :blush:

I REALLY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER :X :X :X

I think, and i am sorry to say it may be a Variola Louti (juvenile)

This little 1" jewel will reach 3ft in length and require a tank in excess of 300gal :crazy:

: basslet__9_.JPG

I hope i am wrong.

You might be right there, but I wouldn't count out the fact that it could be a fairy wrasse

Naah its not a Variola Louti.

search "Variola Louti" on google image.

Does the one in your pics have that skunk stripe down the center of its head?

Does the one in your pics have that skunk stripe down the center of its head?

Yes it has a stripe running up the middle of its head.

It is 1" in length and the body is slender. It has a orange back with a yellow stripe running down the middle of it's head. It's flanks have a purple flash surrounded by a red boarder. It's belly is white and coverd with pale blue spots.

This is a quote from my first post :good:

Open mouth, insert foot :)

Looks like you got the right ID there. Can you take it back?

What am i going to do with it?

The shop i got it from would take it back. But i am not sure if that would be just passing on the problem.
The shop is rubbish. I mean that it is run by people who have no clue what the hell they are selling.
I know i did not have a clue what i was buying :lol:
The way they purchase their livestock is more or less on the grey market. This in a way makes it a good shop to purchase the unusual and there are some bargains for those with a keen eye. In turn they sometimes sell fish that IMO should not be kept by hobbiests. They once had a tank full of 2" Golden Trevally :S they can reach 3.6ft in length.

So if i can possibly find this fish a more suitable future i will. I think i will seek the advice of the local sealife center, hopefully they can help.

Offer it to a local Aquarium in exchange for a free pass? Portsmouth has one doesnt it?

It still does look a bit different to the Variola Louti you can see on google image search, and bare in mind there are hundreds of unidentified wrasse that it could be yet we currently cannot ID it.

Ben

Thats always a disaster waiting to happen. If you KNOW it grows to big, get it out whilst you still can.

Ben

Most reactions

Back