Fish I haven't seen in real life

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
There are lots of fish (most rainbowfish, rarer fish, Inle fish) that I haven't seen in real life. I have heard of them, but never saw them in real life. The fish I want to see the most is the red neon rainbowfish, a species that was discovered in 2016. Vebas might have them. I need a store tour for the rainbowfish section of Vebas.

The fish in the shop tank won't look like the pictures in books or online. Most pictures show adult males displaying to each other and that is when they show their best colour. The rest of the time they will be much less colourful.

If you look on YouTube, you might be able to see what they really look like when not showing off. They are still nice but not as nice as the pictures.

It's a bit like Iriatherina werneri. I saw a picture of one on the cover of a TFH magazine back in the late 80s. The fish was magnificent and filled the entire cover. One of my coworkers said Vebas had them and he took me out there to see them. They were tiny, about 1 inch long and grey. That was it. I was expecting something a bit bigger. The fish on the cover was an adult male in full display but the ones in the shop were young adults in normal colour.

The fish in the shop tank won't look like the pictures in books or online. Most pictures show adult males displaying to each other and that is when they show their best colour. The rest of the time they will be much less colourful.

If you look on YouTube, you might be able to see what they really look like when not showing off. They are still nice but not as nice as the pictures.

It's a bit like Iriatherina werneri. I saw a picture of one on the cover of a TFH magazine back in the late 80s. The fish was magnificent and filled the entire cover. One of my coworkers said Vebas had them and he took me out there to see them. They were tiny, about 1 inch long and grey. That was it. I was expecting something a bit bigger. The fish on the cover was an adult male in full display but the ones in the shop were young adults in normal colour.

Look at them dart around! They look adorbs :) These red neons are the best looking rainbowfish I have ever seen.

I live in the farthest backwater boondocks of the earth and there are scads of tropical fish that I’ve never seen and many that I’ve seen only once or twice . I live with the expectation that , even now , in my advanced geriatric days that I may once again see the Festivum that I saw only once and this time I won’t let them get away .

Most reactions

Back