Fish Has Severely Swollen "throat"/gills, Will Not Eat, Twitch

normie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my freshwater fish Norman (I'm not even sure of his breed) has suddenly fallen quite ill.

Backstory: two days ago, I noticed he had swelling around his anus (sort of like a donut jellyfish), did some googling, and figured it was constipation - possibly from overfeeding. Lots of people recommended epsom salts, so I added 2 tsp (to a 40 gallon tank, which Norman shares with two other cichlids - flowerhorns, specifically).

Two days later, the swelling around the anus has subsided almost 100%, but he has developed severe swelling around his gills/throat area (I've circled it in red) literally overnight. He's normally very active and responsive, but is now staying near the floor - he seems lethargic and stressed out, and will not eat.

tumblr_lqh8xiEGmF1qapg8do1_500.jpg

The "flesh" underneath his mouth is very swollen, along with his gills, and his breathing seems labored - it looks like he's panting. He's also been twitching his dorsal fin occasionally, and once in a while will just seem to shudder. It isn't just his gills but his throat that's swelling - typically that area is perfectly flat/smooth on him, not bumpy as shown. I don't think it's parasites because of the sudden onset, and because he's just been swimming in the same place, without rubbing himself against rocks/aquarium ornaments.

I assumed the epsom salts would be fine as I used a minimal amount, and the other two fish Norman lives with seem perfectly healthy. Still, I changed their water and fished out detritus. At this point though, I'm not sure what else I can do. Please help, I really love this fish and he's been in perfect health - very lively - until now. Thanks very much in advance, and apologies for the long post.

Norman looks like a Norma who is due to have fry :unsure:

Do you have other yellow labs in the tank?

Ahh, I had no idea! Could this happen overnight? I know for a fact the other two fish in the tank are male, but they are both flowerhorns - Norman (Norma?) is the only yellow lab in the tank. Also, the swelling happened pretty much overnight - I thought it was a gill issue, because Norman was breathing very rapidly and just seemed generally uncomfortable. Would you have any advice on what I could do? And how long should I wait before the refusal to eat becomes a concern? Norman hasn't eaten in 2 days...

ETA: I examined Norman's mouth as carefully as I could - he's not exactly keeping it shut - and there doesn't appear to be anything egg or fry-like inside of it. Also, Norman has started rubbing himself against scratchy surfaces and his fins seem unusually stiff and even look slightly frayed. Could it be parasites?

Most reactions

Back