Fish for a 45 Gal community?

Jacob the tank keeper

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting myself a 40gal 3ft. 36x16x16 inch

I currently have 8 Congo Tetras in a 15 ft (which I know is too small, hence the upgrade)
as well as 4 Crossing Rainbows and 4 Parkinsons. So I'll start with those.

I also have 3 Adult angels I'm planning to add.

any recommendations for fish? Maybe wrestling halfbeaks if they're compatible?

Hi the three foot tank won’t be big enough for these fish you have a lot of big active swimmers with the congos and rainbows and the angels are big fish too especially with their height.

Really you want something at least four foot long and two foot tall depth could be somewhere between 18-24 inches.

Comparability of the fish all together is questionable as Congos and angels are softer water fish and rainbows and half beaks are harder water hopefully you will have quite neutral water on the slightly soft side which may accommodate these species but your rainbows may not develop as well as in harder water but it’s possibly ok as their natural water does vary through the seasons.

If you are limited to a three foot tank I’d find species that will do in that size long term rather than these active 4-6 inch fish.

I agree. Angelfish are not possible in this small a space (3-foot tank) and the other fish already there are not compatible anyway. A 3-foot is actually too small for Congo Tetras, a 4-foot tank would provide them the space they need, they love to swim "lengths" and "relays," and 8 3-4 inch fish will be cramped in anything under 4-feet. I had a grop of 10 in a 4-foot 90g and was frequently entertained by two males doing a relay full length of the tank in front, then changing partners and doing another. The females seemed to enjoy the show. Fish need space to be themselves, it is quite literally in their genes.

I can go for a bit larger, 48 x 16 x 16, 53g, is that still too small? also I'm really hoping to keep the angels as they were given to me from a close friend. So maybe the congos and angels? not sure if I can go for more depth (space issues) but would be better if I can go smaller to save a bit. maybe even have a less depth for more height instead?

I also wanna add that I have albino congos, if what I've read was correct, they are quite smaller

I also wanna add that I have albino congos, if what I've read was correct, they are quite smaller

According to what I can find, the "Albino" Congo Tetra is the same species as the regular, Phenacogrammus interruptus, and not a distinct species. Therefore, the size will be the same at least in healthy fish, males just over 3 inches and females 2 and a half.

I can go for a bit larger, 48 x 16 x 16, 53g, is that still too small? also I'm really hoping to keep the angels as they were given to me from a close friend. So maybe the congos and angels?

Two things here. First, the Congos will be fine in this tank, ideal in fact. Just make sure there is some open space along the front so they can do their "races." The back can have long plants (swords, some stem plants) but the front half should be open space. And floating plants are mandatory to keep them less stressed, they do not like overhead light and will without question be calmer with floaters. The regular (not albino) Congo absolutely shimmers in such conditions, one of the most beautiful freshwater fishes I have ever encountered. I'll add a photo of my 90g as illustrative.

On the angelfish, yes, keep them in this 4-foot tank as you already have them. The tank height is not an issue here, but three angelfish is certainly not recommended, having fewer than five or six, but it is a done deal so you have to live with it. If they have been together for some time, it would seem they have accepted each other, and either all are females of if one or more males is present he is extraordinarily well-behaved! Consider that very good fortune.

The Congos are a bit active at times for angelfish, but again you have the fish so I wouldn't get rid of them unless trouble occurs with the angels.

The rainbows and halfbeaks are an issue as @Wills mentioned. The rainbowfish need a group of around 10 to be at their best, but here again you are working with four...keep an eye on them, they may get aggressive from the small number, this is an issue with all shoaling/schooling fish. The Congos at 8 are probably OK, I wouldn't rock this boat either, though a group of 10-12 is better advised. But it's OK.

Attachments

• 90g Aug 23-13.JPG
    90g Aug 23-13.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 24
According to what I can find, the "Albino" Congo Tetra is the same species as the regular, Phenacogrammus interruptus, and not a distinct species. Therefore, the size will be the same at least in healthy fish, males just over 3 inches and females 2 and a half.

Two things here. First, the Congos will be fine in this tank, ideal in fact. Just make sure there is some open space along the front so they can do their "races." The back can have long plants (swords, some stem plants) but the front half should be open space. And floating plants are mandatory to keep them less stressed, they do not like overhead light and will without question be calmer with floaters. The regular (not albino) Congo absolutely shimmers in such conditions, one of the most beautiful freshwater fishes I have ever encountered. I'll add a photo of my 90g as illustrative.

On the angelfish, yes, keep them in this 4-foot tank as you already have them. The tank height is not an issue here, but three angelfish is certainly not recommended, having fewer than five or six, but it is a done deal so you have to live with it. If they have been together for some time, it would seem they have accepted each other, and either all are females of if one or more males is present he is extraordinarily well-behaved! Consider that very good fortune.

The Congos are a bit active at times for angelfish, but again you have the fish so I wouldn't get rid of them unless trouble occurs with the angels.

The rainbows and halfbeaks are an issue as @Wills mentioned. The rainbowfish need a group of around 10 to be at their best, but here again you are working with four...keep an eye on them, they may get aggressive from the small number, this is an issue with all shoaling/schooling fish. The Congos at 8 are probably OK, I wouldn't rock this boat either, though a group of 10-12 is better advised. But it's OK.
I checked in on my angels a while ago, ends up one of them, the female (newly introduced) died... the two males grew up together and are besties never had a prob with them ever. I can get more Congos definitely. And I can give the rainbows back to the shop (My dad owns the petstore) We also got a bunch of juvie angels I can try to get if that's alright... What would you recommend me to do in summary? and any other fish I can add that'd be alright?
343571471_2302045416849713_4153801311369857162_n.jpg

Angelfish. I had assume the three were in harmony, but now that you have said it, what occurred is exactly what I would expect. I'll try to explain.

Angelfish are shoaling/schooling fish. They must have a group, five or six is minimum but this is not the best, it should be in the 10-12 number. But, in a very large tank. This is the closest we as aquarists can get to providing the "ideal" aquascape. I will post a video of I think 11 angels living the way nature intends [in the comments, the aquarist says this tank is too small and a much larger is planned--even though in this video all is going according to the inherent nature of the angelfishes]. You will see the hierarchy playing out but without violence, just head butting fairly gently to maintain their status within the shoal. These angelfishes are doing what has been observed in the habitats.

This takes a much larger tank. But it is fair to the fish because it is about the closest we can get to what they inherently expect and thus require. One issue that will inevitably occur though is a pair will form. In nature, this occurs and the others move out of harm's way. This is almost impossible in an aquarium. So, to cut to the chase, it is not humane to force them into what is a stressful environment because it ignores their needs. If your two males live in peace, be very thankful. This may not last though. The fish species is genetically the way it is, and they are not going to change for us.

Most reactions

Back