Fish Food Restock

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I need your input on some fish food since I just ran out of most of my fish foods.
I have baby and adult guppies, Rummynose tetra, harlequin rasbora, baby- huge swordtails, pearl gourami, and baby-medium sized platies.

For the bottom feeders, I have 6 large paleatus cories, and 6+ semi-large anaeus cories and 1 very large one.

Basically, I would like a food that is appealing to these fish, preferably something that floats well OR sinks fast, but no sticking around in the water column.
I'm looking for Hikari, Bug Bites, and Omega-One fish food. But other suggestions are welcome.

For all the fish mentioned, your #1 food should be Bug Bites. You might get two sizes, the mini primarily for upper fish including slower eaters, and the sinking for substrate fish which the cories will thrive on.

The Omega One line is quality, and the veggie flake will be welcomed by livbearers mentioned. Do not feed this specifically to cories however, meaning the veggie disks, as they have trouble tring to digest pklant matter (algae, spirulina, etc). If you had loricariids that were herbivorous the veggie disk is OK once a week as there is some fish and shrimp in it for cories, but don't bother. Stay with the bug bites and Omega One's shrimp pellets.

Which brings me to Hikari--I will not use their prepared/dried foods as they are not as wholesome as Omega One. The frozen is a different story, and if you want frozen as a treat say once a week, frozen daphnia is ideal here, and frozen shrimp. Bloodworms I stopped using.

New Life Spectrum is also quality, their basic flake has been a staple with me. I tend to use three different upper foods and two or three different lower, alternating daily for variety.

There are likely other similarly-nutritional and quality foods these days, but I have been able to get those I mentioned for several years and the fish seem satisfied. The cories especially went into overdrive when they detected bug bites. Black soldier fly larvae is as close to natural as you can get in a prepared and nutritional food.

For all the fish mentioned, your #1 food should be Bug Bites. You might get two sizes, the mini primarily for upper fish including slower eaters, and the sinking for substrate fish which the cories will thrive on.

The Omega One line is quality, and the veggie flake will be welcomed by livbearers mentioned. Do not feed this specifically to cories however, meaning the veggie disks, as they have trouble tring to digest pklant matter (algae, spirulina, etc). If you had loricariids that were herbivorous the veggie disk is OK once a week as there is some fish and shrimp in it for cories, but don't bother. Stay with the bug bites and Omega One's shrimp pellets.

Which brings me to Hikari--I will not use their prepared/dried foods as they are not as wholesome as Omega One. The frozen is a different story, and if you want frozen as a treat say once a week, frozen daphnia is ideal here, and frozen shrimp. Bloodworms I stopped using.

New Life Spectrum is also quality, their basic flake has been a staple with me. I tend to use three different upper foods and two or three different lower, alternating daily for variety.

There are likely other similarly-nutritional and quality foods these days, but I have been able to get those I mentioned for several years and the fish seem satisfied. The cories especially went into overdrive when they detected bug bites. Black soldier fly larvae is as close to natural as you can get in a prepared and nutritional food.
Thanks for the input!
I have the large sinking sticks. for some reason the small ones were more expensive... They have trouble sinking however, how do I remedy that?
61Y-j87K5VL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
is this the mini bug bites you are talking about?
I will be buying the foods mostly from petsmart so I might not be able to get New Life Spectrum, but what Bug Bites flakes do you recommend ?

also, what do you think of Freeze Dried Mysis Shrimp from Omega One? the blood worms have been a hit for the fish so i want to try the mysis

Newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms for the baby livebearers.

Frozen marine mix for the others. This can also be cut up with a pair of scissors for the baby livebearers.

Frozen brineshrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, prawn and mysis shrimp can also be fed to all the fish, (cut it up into tiny pieces for the babies).

A basic tropical flake food can be fed first, then frozen foods, then live foods last.

The following link has info on culturing foods for baby fish and might interest you. Daphnia can be cultured for the adult fish and mozzie larvae are a great food for most fish.

Thanks for the input!
I have the large sinking sticks. for some reason the small ones were more expensive... They have trouble sinking however, how do I remedy that?
I will be buying the foods mostly from petsmart so I might not be able to get New Life Spectrum, but what Bug Bites flakes do you recommend ?

also, what do you think of Freeze Dried Mysis Shrimp from Omega One? the blood worms have been a hit for the fish so i want to try the mysis
I'm not a fan of freeze dried in general. The freeze drying process destroys a lot of the nutritional value of the food. I think you're better off feeding frozen instead or live, if you can do that.
But mainly I think variety is key, on the basis that no one food can satisfy their nutritional needs. I feed my upper fish New Life Spectrum and those Bug Bites you have pictured. My bottom feeders get the Bug Bites bottom feeder formula and Omega One shrimp pellets. I alternate those with frozen. I'm starting to get into live foods. I just got a brine shrimp hatchery that works great for producing baby brine shrimp. Couldn't be easier.
I look for quality ingredients in flakes and pellets. You want something with whole fish or shrimp. Fish meal means the leftover parts of the fish that humans don't eat. You don't want something with too much of terrestrial grains like wheat or rice. Bug Bites are great because many tropical fish carnivore and omnivore diets in the wild are mostly insect based.
New Life Spectrum, Bug Bites and Omega One are all good brands. You can get those on Amazon too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

If you use a small measuring spoon--I have always used this for prepared foods so I know the amount not that I actually measure the food but it avoids dumping in too much--immediately stir the bug bites at the surface and they will sink fairly quickly. I had hatchetfish in one tank and they also jumped into action with bug bites and most all of them sank too fast!.

Nothing wrong with shrimp, especially frozen. As a treat though, the nutritional value is less with frozen foods because they do not add the minerals, etc. I've not used the Bug Bite flakes, and I can't find the ingredients online, but presumably they are OK.

If you use a small measuring spoon--I have always used this for prepared foods so I know the amount not that I actually measure the food but it avoids dumping in too much--immediately stir the bug bites at the surface and they will sink fairly quickly. I had hatchetfish in one tank and they also jumped into action with bug bites and most all of them sank too fast!.
thanks! my tank has a lot of floaters so when the food goes under them nothing can see it and then it goes unnoticed, and I have to try and prod it out.

I've not used the Bug Bite flakes, and I can't find the ingredients online, but presumably they are OK.
I'd have thought the same thing. But I got curious so I went to the Petco website because they list ingredients of the foods they sell.

So here are the ingredients for the Bug Bites pellets.
Black soldier fly larvae, salmon, fish protein concentrate, green peas, potato, wheat, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, lecithin, choline chloride, L-lysine, vitamin E supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, marigold extract, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, riboflavin, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement.
Looks ok to me.

But here is the ingredient list for the tropical fish flake formula.
Dried black soldier fly larvae, Herring meal, Potatoes, Wheat germ meal, Wheat flour, Fish protein concentrate, Salmon oil, Dried kelp, Whole peas, Brewers dried yeast, Betaine anhydrous, L-lysine, DL-methionine, Yeast extract, Choline chloride, Calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, Ferrous sulfate, L-carnitine, Mixed tocopherols (preservative), Rosemary extract, Zinc oxide, Manganous oxide, Vitamin A supplement, Copper sulfate, Calcium iodate, Vitamin D3 supplement.

I've not tried the bug bites yet... the best I have so far has been Ultra Fresh brand ( slowly sinking ) they have several sizes, but I've not seen medium / large pellets in that brand...

"Formulated with high content of wild sword prawns (up to 40%), garlic, fresh squid, plus a blend of carefully selected natural ingredients, this fish feed features high palatability and nutritional value for medium-sized schooling fish, dwarf cichlid, discus, and altum angelfish" "without any artificial coloring and no attractants or chemical additives. Our chemical-free feed gives your fish a daily dose of nutritional health." "With 3 million CFUs / G of UF Multi-Strain Probiotics. It helps fish with complete absorption of nutrients, without residue, thereby making the maintenance easier"

of course they don't make it easy to compare price per oz, not finding Bug Bites listed that way

the "Excellent Bits", & the "Micro Pellets" have become my once a day feed... then they get at least another feeding of of Brine Shrimp cubes, Tubifex worm cubes, blood worms, or a mix I buy of various sized floating & sinking pellets with black worm as the main ingredient...

I agree with variety giving the best colors & overall health

I'd have thought the same thing. But I got curious so I went to the Petco website because they list ingredients of the foods they sell.

So here are the ingredients for the Bug Bites pellets.
Black soldier fly larvae, salmon, fish protein concentrate, green peas, potato, wheat, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, lecithin, choline chloride, L-lysine, vitamin E supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, marigold extract, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, riboflavin, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement.
Looks ok to me.

But here is the ingredient list for the tropical fish flake formula.
Dried black soldier fly larvae, Herring meal, Potatoes, Wheat germ meal, Wheat flour, Fish protein concentrate, Salmon oil, Dried kelp, Whole peas, Brewers dried yeast, Betaine anhydrous, L-lysine, DL-methionine, Yeast extract, Choline chloride, Calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, Ferrous sulfate, L-carnitine, Mixed tocopherols (preservative), Rosemary extract, Zinc oxide, Manganous oxide, Vitamin A supplement, Copper sulfate, Calcium iodate, Vitamin D3 supplement.

This is interesting, and rather disturbing. I checked the ingredients of Bug Bites back when I first considered them, and my recollection is that they did not contain what they do now. One thing I do remember is the protein level, which is now stated online as being 40% minimum, but previously I do recall it was in the mid 30's. This was something I especially looked into for my Corydoras, because they do not do well on high protein, and anything below 40% is ideal. Aside from this apparent change, some of the ingredients how were not present then, all those cereal meals and stuff. The list I found on the US site is a bit different from what you found,... .

I would not feed these flakes, definitely. I wold stay with the bug bites as they are still good nutritional value for most fish, cories especially. I know Ian Fuller recommends bug bites along with another food only available in the UK and into which he was consulted.

This is interesting, and rather disturbing. I checked the ingredients of Bug Bites back when I first considered them, and my recollection is that they did not contain what they do now. One thing I do remember is the protein level, which is now stated online as being 40% minimum, but previously I do recall it was in the mid 30's. This was something I especially looked into for my Corydoras, because they do not do well on high protein, and anything below 40% is ideal. Aside from this apparent change, some of the ingredients how were not present then, all those cereal meals and stuff. The list I found on the US site is a bit different from what you found,... .

I would not feed these flakes, definitely. I wold stay with the bug bites as they are still good nutritional value for most fish, cories especially. I know Ian Fuller recommends bug bites along with another food only available in the UK and into which he was consulted.
Something that's been happening the past few years is that manufacturers have been altering their formulas because of supply chain shortages and to cut costs because of inflation. I first noticed it with Omega One changing one of their formulas.
I still think the pellets are good. And I agree about the flakes.

Hello, I just got the New Life Spectrum Flakes and the Bug Bites granules.
the NewLife were GIANT flakes, bigger than my fish but they enjoyed it a lot.
The Bug Bites granules are also tasty for the larger livebearers, schoolers, and gouramis, but it was too large for the baby fish and also it sank a little too fast for my liking.
But both are pretty good and also good pricing

The Bug Bites granules are also tasty for the larger livebearers, schoolers, and gouramis, but it was too large for the baby fish and also it sank a little too fast for my liking.
I grind the pellets I feed my fish with a mortar and pestle. It sinks a little slower and is easier for micro fish to eat. Although if you do that, you have to be extra careful not to overfeed because the uneaten food can mess up the water.

always broke the large flakes up a bit, with my fingertip in the measuring spoon. Doesn't matter, but no harm either way. The micro Bug Bites I would not break up or grind up, these are OK for any fish except tiny fry, and fish will nibble off and get all of the benefit.

When it comes to feeding one's fish there are a few considerations, IMO. But one couls say there are basically three categories one has to consider when choosing foods and feeding schedules.

The first, and most important consideration is the nutritional needs of the specific species being fed in a tank. Most fish will eat almost anything so if we feed an assortment of foods particularly good for different species, we cannot tell them they may not eat each others food as it doesn't work. :p

The next consideration is the food itself and what it contains. I learned always to read ingredient listings for any food I might buy before I do so.

The final consideration is cost and time. Not every fishkeeper can spend the same money to feed their fish. Most foods get less expensive the more of it one buys. But when one has a single 29 gal. tank, for example, it make no sense to buy food in 5 pound cans.

Over the years I have tried a variety of brands as well as a variety of fish species. But I also do a bit of breeding and usually that means diet becomes an essential factor in getting fish spawning and then in raising healthy offspring. Ingredients really matter here.

I have tried live, frozen, flakes, sinking wafers and sticks and even fresh veggies. What I feed today is quite different that what I fed a couple of decades ago. Here is what I know to be true:

1. The best foods are live or close to live. A fresh piece of zucchini is better for an ancistrus than any algae wafer. Live worms, daphnia, brine, BBS etc. are all best when live. But this may often not be a viable option for many. For me it is not due to time and space considerations.

2. If one cannot do live, then the next two best options are quality frozen and Repashy gel foods (IMO). I recently switched from using kensfish sinking sticks to Ebo-Aquaristik foods I had to import from Germany. I got both their insect and mussel Softgran in a smaller size; Shrimp pellets, Veggie sticks and Supersoft Artemia in the smallest of the 4 sizes offered. So far I am happy with it as a part of the diet I feed. If I have problems getting plecos spawning, my go to food is Repashy Spawn & Grow. I recently sold off most of my kensfish sticks as a result.

3. When it comes to flake ingredients really matter, There is a lot of lower quality food out there. I have to admit I am a bit lax here. I have used my own mix of kensfish flakes for years. Flake is not for bottom feeders in my tanks, but if it makes it to the bottom, they will eat it. I have tried some of the other brands mentioned and not really changed from kens for some reason. But the fish which eat that are also getting frozen as well. I buy foods in pounds several times a year and have two shelves in the freezer for them. But I have 20 tanks.

4. Most fish will benefit from a varied diet. If you have both fry and bigger fish in the same tank, it often helps to feed two sizes of foods- small for the fry and bigger for the rest. The reason is simple. Big fish can often eat small foods but small fish cannot eat things too big. The exception is bottom feeders and foods that get soft. Baby plecos can rasp off the same chunk of Repashy as their parents. Sinking pellets or sinking sticks/wafers should soften, so the same applies.

5. If one is so inclined, one can make their own fish foods. However, doing this means having a good grounding in the dietary needs of the fish and then which ingredients will supply them. At the same time one wants to avoid those things that might not be good for the fish especially in the name of speeding preparation or the lowering the cost of needed ingredients. Culturing foods gets one live, but you need to dedicate the time and space for this.

5. I have never understood when I hear or read that somebody's fish won't eat this or that food. My experience has been all fish are pigs and will try to eat anything they think might be food. The only time I have a fish that won't eat was because it was sick. Contrary to popular opinion, when I get new fish they get fed fairly soon after going into a tank. Most stores skimp on feeding to hold down costs as do importers and wholesalers. New fish always seem to arrive hungry. So I feed them.

6. Each keeper has to figure out what foods are the best ones to feed what they keep. But this will be mitigated by how many fish and tanks one has and what sort of budget they have. There are no truly universal foods as far as I can tell.

7. As a rule, the most popular commercial foods are not the best things to feed our fish. I prefer to get brands suggested by smaller vendors with better credentials than a brand name. As somebody who has had some success breeding plecos one of the most asked questions I get is, "What do you feed your fish?"

We all know we should keep our fish in proper conditions i.e. parameters and habitat. We all know water changes are a good thing since fish prefer this to poor quality water. But the one variable we really control and which matters a great deal is what we feed. Diet matters.

Over the years one of my favorite fry foods were Cyclop-eeze. It was available frozen, freeze dried or flake. I used the frozen. But it was cultured in a single lake which crashed. And that was the end of Cyclop-eeze, but not cyclops entirely. My frozen mix today is:
Adults: Brine Shrimp, Brine shrimp gut loaded w/ spirulina, Blood Worms (mini- and regular), Mysis Shrimp, Daphnia.
Fry: cyclops, rotifers, dpahnia, BBS (this is too expensive so I keep just a few packs of the cubes on hand, but they are a minimal feed because of the cost). I tried hatching BBS for a while. Too much work and too messy for me and I gave it up. I also did live red wiggler worms, but again, I gave them up too. For veggie these days I use the Ebo and and what is left of both my kensfish veggie and spirulina sticks.

Most reactions

Back