Fish eye color...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the thread I was involved in previously, but that involved fish with red eyes, & why they would be that color...

then there are lamp eyes, or several varieties that have neon blue eyes, & I'm familiar with a Cichid or 2 that have yellow / gold eyes

...I just noticed these fish today, & I can't think of another species right now, that has black eyes... this fish doesn't look well, just because of the deep black eyes... the line bred gold Denison barbs, have a percentage that are or go blind, that have black eyes...

Dan's isn't importing African Tetras right now, so these are not in stock, there anyway...
but can anyone think of another normal freshwater tropical fish that has black eyes??? or what conditions would have caused these to evolve this way???

Last edited:
OK, this was the previous thread about fish with red eyes...

Looks like Wet Spot had some back then as well...

Attachments

• 1721666351917.png
    1721666351917.png
    409.8 KB · Views: 11
not a lot on this specific fish, but found a video of them in a tank... black eyes and all...

In general, fish that live closer to the surface or those that live in more bright water, have black eyes. The melanin in their eyes protects their eyes against the light.
Those that live in deeper water, black water or those that live between roots in lagoons, can already have lighter colored eyes, like blue for instance. Those that live way deeper and where's almost no light can have wat lighter colored eyes. The less they depend on light, the less melanin they need in their eyes.
But it aso depends on how the eyes are constructed, whether they can see far or not, of can see colors or not. Not all fish eyes are constructed the same way. I've written an artcile once about it.
1721671188217.png

It's a 4 page article...

In general, fish that live closer to the surface or those that live in more bright water, have black eyes. The melanin in their eyes protects their eyes against the light.
Those that live in deeper water, black water or those that live between roots in lagoons, can already have lighter colored eyes, like blue for instance. Those that live way deeper and where's almost no light can have wat lighter colored eyes. The less they depend on light, the less melanin they need in their eyes.
But it aso depends on how the eyes are constructed, whether they can see far or not, of can see colors or not. Not all fish eyes are constructed the same way. I've written an artcile once about it.

It's a 4 page article...
It's a 4 page article that isn't in English and we can only see 2 pages :(

Most reactions

Back