Fish Dying

gzuleta4071

Reaction score
Hello,
I set up a new fish tank almost a month ago. slowly I began to intruduce new fish to my aquarium as recomended at the pet store. After 3 weeks I had a total fo 5 Buenos Aires Tetras, 2 Dwarf Gouramis and 3 dalmation mollies. Last week we found out that we had ick/ich on my tank and began a treatment with ick clear, increased temperature to 83F and performed 10 to 25% water changes with new treatment but it did not work because my fish began to die. first all the buenos aires tetras, followed by the dwarf gouramis and today one of my dalmation mollies died.
Now here is one of my questions. why most of my fish had no fins by the time they died? was that also caused by the ick? please advise before I try to buy new fish.
Thanks

11/13/10
GH 0
KH 80
PH 8.5
NO2 5
NO3 40
Am 0.5

Attachments

• my fish tank.jpg
    my fish tank.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 43
Nice looking tank.... I think its just other fishes eating your dead fish fins. If it was fin rot you would see a slow decay of the fins.

was your tank cycled using ammonia
and how long did it take to cycle
if you didn't do this i am afraid
your tank isn't cycled i have put a link up
for you to read all the answers you need
to know http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/58-beginner-questions/

Hello,
I set up a new fish tank almost a month ago. slowly I began to intruduce new fish to my aquarium as recomended at the pet store. After 3 weeks I had a total fo 5 Buenos Aires Tetras, 2 Dwarf Gouramis and 3 dalmation mollies. Last week we found out that we had ick/ich on my tank and began a treatment with ick clear, increased temperature to 83F and performed 10 to 25% water changes with new treatment but it did not work because my fish began to die. first all the buenos aires tetras, followed by the dwarf gouramis and today one of my dalmation mollies died.
Now here is one of my questions. why most of my fish had no fins by the time they died? was that also caused by the ick? please advise before I try to buy new fish.
Thanks

update 11/13/10 down to the last one! I feel so bad because I've put a lot of effort on this and my kids are also very upset. The only one left is the female dalmation molly. thanks for all the posts. I've been keeping an eye on the cycles of my new tank but I don't know what else to do now.

was your tank cycled using ammonia
and how long did it take to cycle
if you didn't do this i am afraid
your tank isn't cycled i have put a link up
for you to read all the answers you need
to know http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/58-beginner-questions/

can you tell us what you did to your tank before adding your fish in the first place?

Did you add any chemicals of any type? What was the advice given by your fish shop?

Ok so you set up your new tank a month ago and slowly added fish. Can you explain exactly how you did this...what chemicals did you use, how long without fish, etc etc.

can you tell us what you did to your tank before adding your fish in the first place?

Did you add any chemicals of any type? What was the advice given by your fish shop?

I did not get a lot of advise. It was just basic. got the tank, filter,water heater and let it run for 4 days without any fish. then I added 3 buenos aires tetras to help the cycling process. At the same time I added this product called Prime to remove chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia. it also says that it detoxifies nitrite & nitrate.
a week later I added two more buenos aires tetras, two Dwarf gouramis and a couple days later 3 dalmatian mollies.
Then everything was fine until we notice some type of bubbles on the fish and everywhere on the tank and someone told me that it was ick. I went to a local store late that night and bougth ick clear. Did a 10 % water change and added two tabs. I did the same thing for 3 days until the sugar-like cristals were pretty much gone but I lost all my tetras on those 3 days. followed by the gouramis and one dalmatian molly the day before yesterday. I have also noticed that the female molly started to chase and nip the males and they were alwas hiding and came out just to eat.
After one of my males died before yesterday I added some sea salt to my tank and today I am left with the female only and praying that she does not die too.

Hello,
Thanks

Do you mean algea?

your tank is not cycled bad info again
your tank should of been cycled before
any fish were added it should take as long as
6 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank you will also need a test kit
the API fresh water master test kit is what
you need i put a link up for you to read
in there it will tell you all about how
to cycle your tank and what you need to do
during cycling by the way by no means
is this your fault this is down to
back information all they want you to do is spend
money and if the fish die you will go back and buy
more like i said read the link and with help
from people on here you cant go far wrong
good luck with you fish keeping in the future

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/141946-cycling-resource-center/

^ +1 ^ :good:

gzuleta4071, read up about Cycling an aquarium from The Bifster's link. It will save you lots of cash and heartache from dead fish in the long run!
:good:

Your fish had suffered from ammonia poisoning coz you didn't give your tank long enough to cycle. Did anyone give you any advice about this before you setup your tank. Unfortunately you will lose your molly but don't get disheartened. Be patient leave your tank about a month with everything running don't add any treatments. Buy yourself a water test kit so you can check the stats.
by the way you need to do some water changes coz you put sea salt in the water. don't do a massive water change just 10% weekly. Top up with fresh water and use a dechlorinator.

Hello,
Thanks

11/13/10
GH 0
KH 80
PH 8.5
NO2 5
NO3 40
Am 0.5

My last fish died this morning 11/15.
This is my next questions. Should I change all the water and start all over again or just change a small percentage to keep the cycle? all advises are fully appreciated since I am not about to give up just yet but this time I want to do it right.
Thanks

Everything you need to know is in the link that Biffster put up, nobody is going to take the time to write everything out again when it`s already there for you

Most reactions

Back