Fish Dying Dont Know Why

CrustyOnEastCoast

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure anyone can help with this .. well at the very least it will be an anecdotal experience.

I performed a fishless cycle (using Ace Hardware ammonia -- 10%, no surfactants, etc) on my 35 US Gallon aquarium with thoroughly washed play sand and fake plants for 8 weeks. After that point my tank was processing 4ppm worth of ammonia and nitrites every 24 hours without fail. However, I could never make further headway. (I tried all the tricks to jump start the stalled cycle -- large water changes and adding sodium bicarbonate to keep Ph at 8.0).

So, I figured my cycle was in pretty good shape, so I "half" stocked my tank -- 6 very small panda corydoras, 4 guppies -- 2 of which are very small.

Never since adding fish have I ever seen ammonia or nitrites above 0ppm, after regular, multiple tests.

For the first week and a half everything was running wonderfully. Then 2 days ago, I did 3 things.

1. 10% water change, vacuum up poo, replace with dechlorinated (Seachem Prime) water matching tank water temp from tap
2. Stuck my clean arm all the way down to the bottom of the tank and re-arranged a plant
3. Added a full does of Seachem Clarity since the water was clowdy.

Yesterday night I noticed one guppy and one catfish .. dead. No marks or anything on the fish to help me know what is wrong.
Since then I have been watching fish carefully. No weird behavior in fish .. if anyting they are more hyper than usual .. no gasping at surface, no red gills. This morning I noticed another catfish "slowing down". Not as active as the others..
resting too long. A little later he was on his side .. then he jerked upright, but died. Again, no marks, etc.

I have been cleaning out my Aqua Clear 50 filter about 2 or 3 times now since the first fish died .. since I think this might be related to the water clarifier (what else could it be). A lot of dark water, and particles in the filter container and the sponge after each cleaning. Water still cloudy, but who cares (I should have left well enough alone).

So far, no more fish deaths, just the three, and the other fish seem to be very active and swimming. Throughout all this, all fish were eating .. I did my best not to overfeed, again ammonia, nitrites always 0.

Dumb question: Does overfeeding just produce too much waste (and resulting ammonia) in the tank, or are the fish not too bright and can kill themselves from overeating. I don't think I overfed them anyway, but wondering, thinking, etc.

Please let me know if you need more info, I am not sure there is an easy answer, anyway. Thanks!

They don't have any way of knowing that they have eaten enough so I guess it's possible. I would think it would have to be serious quantities though.

What did you clean your filter in? Hopefully it was old tank water and NOT tap water.

Such a shame to read this, i enjoyed reading your fishless cycle log and you seemed to do everything correct :good:

Keep the water tests going, water changing if needed, and keep us updated.
Best of luck,

Terry.

Yes, I clean my filter in either tank water, or heavily dechlorinated tap water (double dose, at least, of Seachem Prime).

I also checked my Ph, and that has remained steady at about 7.8.

I'll keep everyone posted. I suspect either something is wrong with the water clarifier I used (possible?), or I stirred up poisonous gases in the sand when I re-arranged the fake plant. (I know the gases in the sand thing is a very controversial issue .. I don't know what to believe about it myself, and I don't *necessarily* intend to start a big discussion :) ).

No more fish deaths after 12 hours. All remaining fish (3 guppies, 4 catfish) ate well tonight and are swimming actively. Keeping fingers crossed to see what I find tomorrow morning. Hoping I am in the clear ... but also disturbed that I have no idea what happened and might never know.

One thing I want to point out and forgot to mention. This morning, shortly after discovering the 3rd dead fish (after the 2 the evening before), I decided to add carbon to my filter. (The addition of the carbon, of course, cleared up the cloudy water nicely .. not that cloudy water, in itself, matters to the fish).

My plan is to leave the carbon in for 3 to 4 weeks, then take it out. Not sure at this point if I will keep using carbon regularly with monthly replacements from here on out. Of course, also not sure at all if the carbon is playing any helpful role .. I just know that no more fish are dead at the moment. I know the general view of this forum is that carbon is not necessary -- and risky if left in the filter too long.

Glad to hear everything seems to have settled now, shame you had 3 fish die in the process.

On to carbon, I think the general consensus on here, is that it is simply not needed. It doesn't become bad after an amount of time, just after a while the carbon becomes noneffective so therefor not worth putting in, unless its for removing meds. Sponge filters are able to hold more bacteria than carbon pads.

Good news: 38 hours have passed and no more fish deaths. Remaining fish look great, acting normally, water tests still fine. I think I am in the clear.

Bad news: I have no idea what happened and probably never will.

I'd put it down to the Seachem Clarity. Anecdotally yours is not the first report of deaths after its use I've seen on various forums. Personally I would never use any water clarifier while fish are in the tank, no matter what the bottle claims, as they work by flocculating (i.e. binding together) the particles into larger masses that the filter can then remove. Imagine what they binding effect has on the very fine gill structure of some fish, possibly causing suffocation.

Interestingly I can't find anything on Seachem's website that openly states it is fish safe but I only had a brief look. It does say freswater and marine safe but that's not the same thing, is it?

Thanks for the feedback Prime Ordeal. I'm throwing away the Seachem Clarity. I'm glad I trusted my gut when this all started and kept cleaning out the filter over and over again until all hints of the brown color of the clarifier were gone. Maybe I would have lost more fish if I hadn't done that. I also took the carbon back out of my filter after running it for about 24 hours. All fish are still fine and look very healthy this morning.

Since Seachem Prime is such a great product I figured I could innately trust other Seachem products as well. Dumb, rookie mistake. If you have to use it without fish in the tank, they should tell you that on the bottle .. but then that would not be a very useful product, would it?

When you stuck your arm into the tank you might have added chemicals that were on your arm, or pulled your arm out and rested your hand on something, scratched your face and put your hand back in without realizing it. Anything could have been introduced eg shower gel, daily grime or something. you might have cleaned it all off, but just a small amount on a uncleaned area would be enough to mess up the weak fish so to speak. The carbon filter added would have removed chemicals from the water. Best keep it in while fishing with your hand :)

Most reactions

Back