Fish died overnight. Need help!

Jc2415

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I’m in need of help I will put all the events that happened. I had an established tank that was running amazing. I bought a new Flower Horn and added him to the tank, after adding him he randomly died 3 days later not sure why just thought bad luck. Then about 3 days later my 7 Glass Barbs that I had for 3 months all died overnight when I was looking at them, I saw that they almost looked like their scales were flaking off and they had a white fuzz on them. Again, in my ignorance I thought just bad luck, I know I should have started doing more research, but I didn’t… yesterday 9-26 I bought another Flower Horn after waiting a week and doing a cleaning. After putting him in last night I woke up and checked on him and he was very lethargic and had the same white fuzz on him and he’s not looking like he’s going to make it. All the parameters are good on the tank. I have read it could be a fungal infection or a bacterial infection I’m just not sure what one would kill a fish overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_5588.jpeg
    IMG_5588.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 13
Stop adding fish to the tank. Never add new fish if a fish has just died. Wait at least a month after everyone has been good.

The white stuff on the fish is excess mucous produced by the fish because something in the water is irritating it.

The red stuff is probably blood and could be from a bacterial infection or the fish injured itself, most likely the latter considering it's a cichlid.

--------------------

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here. If you don't have test kits, take a glass full of tank water to a pet shop and ask them to test it. Write the results down in numbers when they do the test. If they say the water is ok, ask them for the numbers.

How long has the tank been running for?
What other fishes are in the tank?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

What sort of filter is on the aquarium?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Is there any aeration/ surface turbulence in the water?

Do you have separate buckets and hoses specifically for the tank or do you use any buckets from around the house?
Has anyone else used the fish buckets for anything?
Have you had any visitors lately that might have done something or put something in the tank?

Do you have any moisturising cream, oil, grease, hand sanitiser residue, perfume or anything else that might be on your skin when working in the tank?

Does anyone smoke, paint or use aerosol sprays (perfume, bug spray, etc) in the room with the aquarium?

After more research I think it’s slime coat syndrome. I have some Melafix to add to the tank and see if that helps.

Don't add Melxafix or anything else.

Slime coat is the clear mucous on fish. All fish have a thin layer of clear mucous (slime) over their body and fins. It helps them move through the water easier and offers a first line of defense against external parasites and chemicals or harmful substances in the water. When the fish is stressed by something in the water, they produce more mucous. If the fish is really stressed out by the water, the mucous can appear as a cream, white or grey film over the body and fins.

Test the water, post the results and do a big water change.

I have tested my water many times and everything is in safe levels I use the api master kit. Also I did a 75% water change 3 days ago.

There's something in the water that is stressing them. You need to keep doing big daily water changes to dilute it out.

Most reactions

Back