Fish Deaths! Help!

FingersofFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,

Ive had my tank quite some time now (around 3 months). prior to adding fish it was fully fishless cycled, and then the fish were added at a rate of around 5 inches of fish a week.

Tank is a 70L (18.5G) Total stocking (Was) as follows:

2x Platy (Male)
3x Endlers Livebearer (Male)
7x Galaxy Rasbora (Assorted)
3x Dwarf Chain Loach (Assorted)

is of today:

2x Platy, 2x Endler, 6x Rasbora, 3x Dwarf Loach

The tank is fairly heavily planted, a mix of natural wood and rock most of which has been there ever since the tank was started, at this point nothing has been changed for 2 weeks.

Water changes are done once weekly (Sunday) at 50% as part of EI fertaliser dosing.

Sequence of Unfortunate Events

3 Weeks Ago -

Red Platy gets stuck in circulation pump and dies ---> Circulation Pump Removed (no reason to suspect anything else.

Several days after a new Orange platy is purchased, + two additional galaxy rasboras making the total up to 7 (as stated above).

2 Weeks Ago -

Endlers Livebearer begins to sit at bottom of tank and breathe heavily, continues for several days, checked parameters 0 nitirte, 0 ammonia, did 50% water change anyway.

Upon advice of LFS dosed Myaxzin for 5 days.

3 days after starting dosing, endler appears the same state, notice a single rasbora is sinking to the bottom of the tank as if dead, and then shooting back up to the top in a frenzy.

5 days (end of dosing) - cannot find rasbora or endler

6 days after - Find endler and rasbora both dead, removed and dosing stopped, water change.

1 Week Ago -

Everything appeared back to normal

Today -

A rasbora appears to be 'pineconing' (dropsy?) has swolen to larger size and seems lethargic, all other fish appear normal.

white slime floating at top edge of water? removed with tweezers and net.

- Tested water, 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia

Will do 50% water change tomorrow anyway as it's sunday, have also began dosing Myaxzin again.

--------------------------------------------------

In short, can anybody fill me in on what could be causing this? most fish seem healthy but i keep getting tragerdies arising so something must be amiss within the tank it cant be happening by chance!.

My thoughts were perhaps add an adiitional 10/20% water change every 2 or 3 days inbetween the 50%, although this will mess up EI it's worth it for the fish......

Failing that i'm wondering if my feeding is amiss, I usually feed Flakes (about 5 large flakes and 6 small twice a day) for 3 days of the week, 1 block of frozen Brine shrimp one day, one block of either Daphina, Bloodworm or Mysis one day and 2 fasting days a week?.

I am also trying to get hold of a hopsital tank, but money is tight and trying to pick up at least a 30 - 40 litre tank and heater for £30 is hard!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!

Where are you in the UK?

If you close to West London I'll gladly take your fish into a 32L temporarily.....

Otherwise, a 10L hospital tank, no filter,heater or lights is about £14 from some shops (£11 if you go thin plastic) .....if you do daily water changes you won't need a filter.

Some medicines kill weaker fish.....and are absorbed by activated carbon, make sure your filters have the AC out before using Melafix or others like it.

Are you treating your replacement water for chlorine/chloromines?
Is your water clear to the eye, i.e. you don't perhaps have a bacterial bloom and your fish are suffocating
2 fasting days for small fish is too much, go down to 1 IMHO, decrease portions to accommodate.
Are you using test strips or liquid tests? Strips can be horrible inaccurate! Liquid tests are a bit pricey, but well worth it!

Hope it all comes right! Good Luck! 

Most reactions

Back