Fish Compatible With A Syndontis Cuckoo Cat?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sototally

Reaction score
I had a 2 or 3 small african cichlids at any given time in my old 37gallon and now my 29gallon (the 37 cracked during a move). Currently there is one small Maylandia Callainos (don't think he's pure though), and one cuckoo catfish.

I've pretty much decided I've given up on african cichlids. My 29 gallon simply can't house more than 1 or 2 without having over aggression problems, even when they are small. And I'd like to put more peaceful tropical fish in at some point after the cichlid passes or I trade him in.

However, I love my cuckoo cat. he's about 3-4" long and has always been a peaceful fish unless one of the african cichlids tried to give him a hard time then he'd stand his ground, but otherwise, he likes to just hang out in the caves and such.

What tropical fish could I put in with a cuckoo? I was thinking about Gouramis, or possibly a couple Angelfish.

Any good suggestions for some pretty peaceful tropical fish that could go-exist with a synodontis cuckoo cat in a 29gallon? I'm up for pretty much any combination.

The tank's substrate is sand, and I'll be keeping it sand. not sure how this affects things.

thanks.

there isnt really that much that can live with them apart lake Tanganyika cichlids because they need a ph 8. so alot of community fish cant live with them. you could try getting a few more they need to be kept in bigger groups and if the water is right there quite easy to breed so you could try that.

there isnt really that much that can live with them apart lake Tanganyika cichlids because they need a ph 8. so alot of community fish cant live with them. you could try getting a few more they need to be kept in bigger groups and if the water is right there quite easy to breed so you could try that.

Swordtails, Mollies, Blue Gouramis all do just fine in higher ph around 8.0 (where mine is). So with the ph issue out of the way, I'm wondering aggression and tempermant-wise, would my synodontis multi live alongside some of each of these?

i think fish like gourami would be ok with synodontis. if i'm honest a high ph is preferred rather than critical. so you could think about perhaps south american or central american cichlids.

i have an absolutely stunning 5" syno multipunctatus in my 7 foot tank and thats at about ph 6.8, was at 6.5 at one point and the multi is in absolutely perfect condition and extremely healthy, well maybe a little chubby lol. mine is wild caught so came from tanganyika so proves they can adapt to different conditions even though it is a less hardy wild caught specimen.
if you can you should keep you ph high so don't change that, as mentioned a lot of the live bearers actually do alot better at a higher ph, what cichlids did you have? if you go for some of the smaller tanganyikans then you'd fit in more than 2-3.

i have an absolutely stunning 5" syno multipunctatus in my 7 foot tank and thats at about ph 6.8, was at 6.5 at one point and the multi is in absolutely perfect condition and extremely healthy, well maybe a little chubby lol. mine is wild caught so came from tanganyika so proves they can adapt to different conditions even though it is a less hardy wild caught specimen.
if you can you should keep you ph high so don't change that, as mentioned a lot of the live bearers actually do alot better at a higher ph, what cichlids did you have? if you go for some of the smaller tanganyikans then you'd fit in more than 2-3.

At any given time I had Yellow Labs, Blue Cobalts, Acei, Red Zebra.

What smaller Tanganyikans were you thinking of. I'm totally open for suggestions. The only thing that's set in stone is the Syno multi is staying. I love that fish.

Swordtails, Mollies, Blue Gouramis all do just fine in higher ph around 8.0 (where mine is). So with the ph issue out of the way, I'm wondering aggression and tempermant-wise, would my synodontis multi live alongside some of each of these?

I have three of the Synodontis Multipunctatus and if young livebearers are present,they will view them as food. Mine are nearly seven inches long and are quite active at night and explore all levels of the tank at this time. I have moderately hard water with pH of 7.4 and temp in this tank is 80 degrees F. They very much enjoy current and oxygen rich water.
I do not believe they are easy to breed without presence of mouth brooder type cichlids for the process involved has produced the name "Cuckoo "

I have three of the Synodontis Multipunctatus and if young livebearers are present,they will view them as food. Mine are nearly seven inches long and are quite active at night and explore all levels of the tank at this time. I have moderately hard water with pH of 7.4 and temp in this tank is 80 degrees F. They very much enjoy current and oxygen rich water.
I do not believe they are easy to breed without presence of mouth brooder type cichlids for the process involved has produced the name "Cuckoo "

Thanks. I'm not all that worried about keeping any livebearer fry. If any do survive, more power to them, but I'm not interested in raising baby fish, selling baby fish, or overpopulating my tank, so if Mr. Syno wants to snack so be it.

I'd like to add that since starting this thread (also note that SoTotally and myself are one in the same, it was a temporary name i used when I couldn't remember if I was registered), I have added in two Gold Gouramis and three female swordtails with my Synodontis Multi. And so far no issues whatsoever. The Gouramis are actually quite timid and if they sense anyone in the room around the tank they both hide behind the plants or behind rocks. The three swords just frolic around, and the Syno doesn't seem to care at all. So, so far, so good. I've very happy with my decision to take a long needed break from african cichlids. It'll give me an opportunity to keep more stock, and more varied stock, and most of all, have less incidents of extreme cichlid violence. lol.

Most reactions

Back