Fish being picky with live food?

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
A while back, I started culturing microworms for my pygmy gouramis. I figured it was a nice small live food for them. But they never really went for the microworms. Or the frozen daphnia I feed sometimes. It's not an issue with appetite. They eat fine when it's their Bug Bites or Omega One pellets or Repashy gel. They absolutely love live baby brine shrimp. But never went for the microworms.
That just seems weird to me that fish don't immediately devour a live food. Anyone else experience fish being picky with live or frozen foods?

Microworms are really small, and are something I might use for a freshly hatched fry too small for artemia nauplii. I wouldn't feed them to any adult fish here. They often get ignored. They're a lot of work for minimal returns.

Microworms are really small, and are something I might use for a freshly hatched fry too small for artemia nauplii. I wouldn't feed them to any adult fish here. They often get ignored. They're a lot of work for minimal returns.
Given that pygmy corys are pretty small themselves, I thought it might work out.

Most dry foods have more smell than live foods and fish can become addicted to foods, which is why you try to feed a variety of food to them. Microworms tend to scatter through the water and make it harder for the fish to get them. Once they know the worms are there, they should take them but the catfish probably don't know they are there.

Grindal worms are bigger and might be easier for the catfish to see.

Most reactions

Back