Fish And Air Freshners!

licklebabba

Reaction score
Hiya all,hope you all well, have'nt posted for a while,but have a little question... I know that oil plug in air freshners are dangerous and can kill fish,but are scented candles ok to use in the room the tank is in??? Cheers in advance x

What? you have known stories where plug ins freshensers have killed fish? Through gas exchange, chemical contamination? I would never know as i don't use the product but this sounds unusaual

EDIT: almost as unusual as I spelt 'unusaual'

Ok then, just the fella at our LSF, said that oil plug in fresheners were dangerous,obviously you not had problems then.Ta.

these airfreshners killed most of my first ever batch of platy fry :( unbeknown to me until 5teady asked me if i had one when they were dying off

anyone know if incense sticks are bad for fish? i have them burning all the time, just wondered if its what makes my fish go crazy???

also - plug in mosquito deterrents? do these harm fish???????????????????

Hiya all,hope you all well, have'nt posted for a while,but have a little question... I know that oil plug in air freshners are dangerous and can kill fish,but are scented candles ok to use in the room the tank is in??? Cheers in advance x
as u can see,i read that properly didnt i?? lol :blink:

i think as long as you keep the candles or fresheners a certain length away from the tank(although i dont know how far away!) it should be ok. i remember reading a thread like this before where someone actually contacted the manufacturer of those gel-type fresheners and i think the reply was keeping them about 4feet away from the tank to be on safe side(but dont quote me on this exact measurement!!!). have look for this thread for the exact details.
i burn small scented tea-light candles about 6feet away from my tank with no probs.

I guess that I should add I have a huge room that's the living room on one side and dining room on the other and the things are plugged in on the dining room side (the 125 and 29 gallon tanks are in living room) There's not a wall divider.

I use to burn those glad sented oil candles right on top of my tank, till I noticed an oil film on the top of the water!! Took forever to clear that up, but none of the fish died......Needless to say I no longer burn them there, but I do still use them in the same room. maybe I'm just lucky?

Most reactions

Back