Fish advice

infinite_loon

Reaction score
OK, got a 26 litre tank with 6 gold tetras. Going to get some neons tomorrow but is there any kind a bottom feeding fish that can scavange for food that has settled that would help keep the tank clean???

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i think your tank is already over stocked. A 26 Liter tank is equivalent to 6.8 US gal...and the rule is an inch of fish per gallon. Gold tetras are about 1.5 inches each, so as of right now, you have 9" of fish. Tetras really need a bigger tank. The minimum size I've seen for tetras is 10 gal (38 L.)

How long has this tank been set up? Was it cycled first, and if so, how?

One general rule...NEVER trust what a LFS/LPS says, they are in it to make money, and their advice usually is very inacurate.

Apart from the size/gallon thing, that tank is too small for guppies to have a good life in; they need quite a bit of room to move around, at least 10 gallon, I'd say. They are surprisingly active fish for their size, and also need room for their social manouevres. Have no experience with gold tetras, but if they are active fish, the same could apply with them. That tank sounds ideal for a betta though.
I'd say no to the corydoras anyway. Most corys grow to about 3 inches long and they are schooling fish so you need to keep 4 or 5, and they like doing long complicated dances around the tank.

My tetras are very small - when you say 1.5 inch are you talking length of fins not including the tail? Mine are not even an inch. I could be confused of course...

I had it running for three weeks prior to putting fish in.

When you look at how many inches of fish you have, you should use the adult size of the fish, this way your tank doesn't become over stocked as the fish grow.

You have a very small tank. I wouldn't recomend adding any more fish.

Most reactions

Back