First time on this forum

lnsaneM

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I didn't see this section as the first post I posted on here is in the picture section asking for a fish ID. Anyways I'm new here but not new to the hobby of fish keeping. I'm running two community tanks (75 and 150 gallons) both have some weird and odd ball fishes in them. I will post pictures of my tanks when I get home. I have already gotten some fast responses and this seems to be a really nice community. While I'm not new to the hobby but I do realize that there are still tons of stuff to learn, so let's keep this community active and keep fishing!

I'll list some of the fish I have as when I take pictures some of them might be hidden behind driftwood or plants. I'm not going to name the plants because I'm not good with plant names.

150 Gallon Tank
4 Severums, 1 Fahaka Puffer, 1 Royal Pleco, 3 Flowerhorn of some sort, 1 Snakehead, 2 Siamese Tigers, 2 Ropefish, 4 Parrot Cichlid (2 Albino and 2 Blue stripped), and 2 I don't know the name of (seems to be Gourami of some sort)

75 Gallon Tank
1 Black Diamond Cichlid, 1 African Leaf fish, 1 Sailfin Pleco, 1 Silver Scat, 4 baby Bichirs, and some snails to keep the algae under control
RIP to my Black Ghostknife who jumped out about a week ago, really sad he was about a foot long and the oldest fish I had

I know some of these fish I listed are vicious predators but so far they are getting along pretty well (I just keep them fed at all times)
I do notice some bullying between the 2 Datnoids and usually fish within the same species here and there but no problems

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks, I'm having a slight bit of algae problem in my 150, I was thinking about getting some snails in it but the puffer will probably eat them up. So I'm not sure what I should do at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3821.JPG
    IMG_3821.JPG
    441.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3823.JPG
    IMG_3823.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3824.JPG
    IMG_3824.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 40
I love the driftwood and plants :)
Looks really nice.
While most algae doesn't have any bad affects on water, it can look unsightly.
I would recommend blacking the tank out (turning the lights off) for maybe a week depending on the types of plants you have.

I love the driftwood and plants :)
Looks really nice.
While most algae doesn't have any bad affects on water, it can look unsightly.
I would recommend blacking the tank out (turning the lights off) for maybe a week depending on the types of plants you have.
I think I'm just gonna get some snails and hope the Fahaka doesn't eat them for snacks, if that doesn't work, I'll probably turn off the lights

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Add some floating plants to the tank or reduce the lighting to control the algae.
I do have some floating plants in the 150 gallon but maybe perhaps I don't have enough

OH Wow ! Cool fish ! Glad to see you here. You have a few fish that most of us will never see and I hope you will post pictures and experiences with them .
I will

Welcome to TFF

You probably already know this, but that snakehead is a prohibited species in Texas....we'll keep it a secret ;)

I did not until now, I actually got this guy from an Asian store owner that also sells a lot of seafood close to Galveston. I was told this fish grows up to about a foot long and my 150gal is big enough so I had to buy it. I'm always looking into getting odd-ball fish and this is definitely at the top of the charts.

I did not until now, I actually got this guy from an Asian store owner that also sells a lot of seafood close to Galveston. I was told this fish grows up to about a foot long and my 150gal is big enough so I had to buy it. I'm always looking into getting odd-ball fish and this is definitely at the top of the charts.
That store owner could get into big trouble possessing/selling these fish.

@lnsaneM
You certainly have a couple of great tanks and some unique oddball fish.
Our November Tank of the Month contest will feature tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. We hope you enter one of your tanks in the contest.
In mid December, our Fish of the Month contest will feature any fish, but we are especially seeking oddball fish for the contest. Your Puffer, Ropefish, Snakehead, or one of your other oddballs would make a great entry. Consider entering that contest.

Looking forward to seeing your tanks mature into awesome aquascaped tanks.

That store owner could get into big trouble possessing/selling these fish.

Yeah that's true and it would only be a problem to the ecosystem if I do release it into the wild, but there's no way I'm letting this badboy go.

@lnsaneM
You certainly have a couple of great tanks and some unique oddball fish.
Our November Tank of the Month contest will feature tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. We hope you enter one of your tanks in the contest.
In mid December, our Fish of the Month contest will feature any fish, but we are especially seeking oddball fish for the contest. Your puffer, Ropefish, Snakehead, or one of your other oddballs would make a great entry. Consider entering that contest.

Cool, I will definitely look into it

You will see a banner toward the top of the forum when we begin accepting entries for the contest. Meanwhile, be sure to vote in our Pet of the Month contest. Click banner toward top of forum to view the poll.

Most reactions

Back