First Time Breeding

x0x.love.you.x0x

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
well i want to give breeding a go
now that i have 1 spare tank and hopefully 2 or 3 more in a couple of weeks i finally have room to try breeding

im wanting to breed my plakat male but im not sure who to.
i dont have a plakat female. but i have a crowntail female of a diffferent colour to the male and 2 females the same colour but im unsure of thier tail type.
im just wanting you guys opinions on what female i shold use.

i will post picture o male now and females when i can

Attachments

• 100_4394__Small_.JPG
    100_4394__Small_.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_4434__Small_.JPG
    100_4434__Small_.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_4187__WinCE_.JPG
    100_4187__WinCE_.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 25
here are the females
the two females that look like him are very similar so you probably wont be able to tell them apart

im thinking i might start conditioning them all and then if some disaster happens ill have spare females

Attachments

• 100_4597__Small___WinCE_.JPG
    100_4597__Small___WinCE_.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_4598__Small_.JPG
    100_4598__Small_.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_4428__Small_.JPG
    100_4428__Small_.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 17
why have you got the pk in with other bettas?

but apart from that, the ct female at the bottom is a nice ripe little girl and would go nice with him. :good:

um im not really too sure why i have him in with my girls. i have spare tanks but he is fine in with them, he always has been with them. the only reason he is flaring in that picture is that i had another male floating in the tank.

Not necessarily an issue having him in with the females - depends on the fish concerned. Not sure I buy into the recent fads of keeping male bettas completely segregated from all other fish but each to their own.

What are the sizes of the females like? Third one is nicely roed up and I would probably go for that fish as well as long as same size or smaller than so he can wrap correctly.

Chris

now that i have 1 spare tank and hopefully 2 or 3 more in a couple of weeks i finally have room to try breeding

you will also need many small jars for the males. The females can be kept together usually, but males must be separated.

I like the female with the brighter red and then white at the tips of fins.

You'll probably be flamed once more people actually see this post. Males shouldn't be kept with females, ever, unless for breeding. It's too difficult to know what may happen when you turn your back. They're peaceful now, but you just never know.

Haven't you posted pictures of all your fish before, and we told you which were male and that you should remove them? IMO, you need to separate your fish into divided areas in the spare tank that you have before you think about breeding.

Anyhow, if you're hell bent on it, I'd go with the first female. It's VERY hard to tell from the pic you've posted, but she looks to be a pk. IMO, using the ct girl isn't going to give you anything spectacular right now but a hodge-podge of blue with red wash fish with some rays extending here and there.

Males shouldn't be kept with females, ever, unless for breeding.

I think that is what he/she is trying to do, breed them. It is quite alright to put a couple females with a single male for breeding. Sometimes they just don't like one of the females, and having backups isn't a bad idea.

Not a good idea IMO to have 2 females in with 1 male for breeding. Given that females needs to be kept in large groups to minimize bullying they could attack each other or even attack the male. It also increases the stress levels which you don't want to happen when breeding. I have heard of people putting 2 females in separate chimneys to see which eggs up best and if the male seems to show a preference to one more than the other, then removing one female and releasing the other.

they arent really like guppys cause u never know when they could turn, i had 1 male with 3 females when i first started out, 4 tanks with 1male each as his < girlfriends> thinking i would have lots o babies fast.... not at all, one tank the females killed the male, 2nd male killed one female, 3 rd everybody died, and 4 things were fine but i had to babies and they were all stessed all the time.......soooooo..

just from my experence it might be better to try to keep the female seperate and only introduce one female at a time for breeding, but condition more then one female at a time, i go with the male and my first choice female and if they get at it great, but if the female wont coroperate or he dosent like her i then remove her and introudce the next one.... just my opinon.

the only situation i heard of where male and female lived togather peremently were from a breeder in harrisburg who kept a pairs in koi ponds
in his green house, real big150 us gal or more with live plants he said he liked hogwort the best. and the babies he kept with both parents till 8 weeks, mom and dad were then moved to the next spawn tank, boys weretaken out and jarred and females stayed till grown out.. great set up,,, wish i had a darn green house........

Even if that's what he's trying to do (and it's not), it's not the right set up for breeding. Go read more before you try anything.

sorry
im not trying to get descriminated against here
i have him in with i think is 10 or 11 females and they have never fought. i know in other peoples opinion they would not keep a male in with females but in my opinion it depends on the fish
i know what im doing with the breeding ive been looking over the internet and reading about different peoples veiws on breeding for the past 2.5 years so i have done my research it is just now that i have room to try breeding

i was simply wanting to know who you would try breeding.

Haven't you posted pictures of all your fish before, and we told you which were male and that you should remove them? IMO, you need to separate your fish into divided areas in the spare tank that you have before you think about breeding.

yes i have posted pictures and you have told me to remove the males. i now only have this male but he still is in with my females

Most reactions

Back