First tank setup

CobraChuck

Reaction score
Hi all , I just started my first tank. 75 gallon , FX4 canister . First time using sand instead of gravel . I washed all the sand before putting it in the tank . Tank is filled , filter up and running , heater up and running . I’ve decided to do a fish less cycle(master kit + ammonia on the way) there is one issue I want to resolve before I start the cycle process. There is a “smoke” in the water , it also builds a small layer on the water surface . I did a 30-35% water change and that seemed to help. Im assuming this is something from the sand that the filter can’t capture . possibly I just need to wait since it’s so new or should I do daily water changes until it improves ? Thank you for any help

Attachments

• E8923F5C-E3F7-4335-B9B5-3AC32BA4B6B6.jpeg
    E8923F5C-E3F7-4335-B9B5-3AC32BA4B6B6.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 26923310-4368-4DAF-ADA2-7F3808F91CE9.jpeg
    26923310-4368-4DAF-ADA2-7F3808F91CE9.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 58
  • F46D9C45-7FC6-4140-A28C-819AB08D74FD.jpeg
    F46D9C45-7FC6-4140-A28C-819AB08D74FD.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 61
  • AB4EE796-C3F0-4837-AD2A-2D89E4EFD08D.jpeg
    AB4EE796-C3F0-4837-AD2A-2D89E4EFD08D.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 57
Hi all , I just started my first tank. 75 gallon , FX4 canister . First time using sand instead of gravel . I washed all the sand before putting it in the tank . Tank is filled , filter up and running , heater up and running . I’ve decided to do a fish less cycle(master kit + ammonia on the way) there is one issue I want to resolve before I start the cycle process. There is a “smoke” in the water , it also builds a small layer on the water surface . I did a 30-35% water change and that seemed to help. Im assuming this is something from the sand that the filter can’t capture . possibly I just need to wait since it’s so new or should I do daily water changes until it improves ? Thank you for any help
That 'smoke in the water' could be simply dust from the deep purple sand.
I suspect it'll dissipate over time, but keep checking that your filter doesn't get clogged.
If, (and only IF), you need to wash that filter, do so using only aquarium water.

More important will be the readings you get from your test kit.

EDIT to remove spam link.

Last edited:
That 'smoke in the water' could simply be dust from the deep purple sand.
I suspect it'll dissipate over time, but keep checking that your filter doesn't get clogged.
If, (and only IF), you need to wash that filter, do so using only aquarium water.

More important will be the readings you get from your test kit.
Wrong thread Bruce 🤣

Probably just from the sand, it'll settle with time and water changes. I wouldn't be worried; should be gone by the time you add fish

Thanks for the help, doubled checked the filter and it’s very clean . Did another 30% water change , considering buying a second “water polishing” filter to speed it up , any feedback on something like this :

Attachments

• 7B04BA7F-C846-4C6F-9616-72CFDC58E5D5.png
    7B04BA7F-C846-4C6F-9616-72CFDC58E5D5.png
    419.2 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the help, doubled checked the filter and it’s very clean . Did another 30% water change , considering buying a second “water polishing” filter to speed it up , any feedback on something like this :
An unnecessary expense.
I'll assume you are now a victim of effective advertising. ;)

Like we've said, it'll clear itself soon enough.
Patience, Grasshopper...patience.

Fishless cycle is easiest. Good choice. Patience is needed for the sand to clear up, and for the cycle. My cycle took 8 weeks. You can’t estimate - it could take a few weeks, and it could take 10 weeks. I suggest the API Master Test Kit. It’s the easiest and most reliable at the price it is

I prefer other brands - the API tubes are annoying and the nitrate test just silly, even if you shake everything properly, all the colours on the chart from 20 -80 are basically the same.

Having said that API is definitely cheapest so probably best to go for to start with

I prefer other brands - the API tubes are annoying and the nitrate test just silly, even if you shake everything properly, all the colours on the chart from 20 -80 are basically the same.

Having said that API is definitely cheapest so probably best to go for to start with
It’s a slight difference in nitrate, but just line it up with the color and voilá

I just have the test strips right now , no2 no3 both 0 , ph 7 , kh 40 , gh 60 . API master kit arrives tomorrow , ammonia Tuesday so I’ll start the cycle then , hopefully it’s a few weeks 😅 but figure it will give me time to decide on decorations , think I’m leaning away from live plants for now

A bacterial bloom is very common in new tanks. They are different to the beneficial bacteria. It clears by itself within a few days so no need for water changes.

Most reactions

Back