First Planted Tank

KageBunshin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Here are some early shots of my planted tank.

So far it has:

1 high fin platy
1 red and black platy
2 male guppies
2 albino cories

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I worked on it with BettaRFriends (another member on this forum). I dont know any names of the plants, if you guys could ID them for me it would be highly appreciated.

The left background plant looks like Ambulia or Cambomba - is it plastic or real? Furthest left looks like Tropical Hornwort. The left light green foreground is Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia). The centrepiece plant in front of your "rock feature" in the non-aquatic plant Crimson ivy (Hemigraphis colorata) - these will only survive for a few months (upto a year if you're lucky) submerged. Moving right it looks like more Creeping jenny and furthest right possibly Rotala indica.

Bear in mind that all these plants require good lighting to grow successfully long-term. Also the aeration I notice at the surface (airstone?) will drive off any CO2 - hindering the plant's growth.

Interesting choice of background paper - is that a reef?

Have you thought of hiding your heater and thermometers from view? I have my thermometer on the left glass so it doesn't spoil the picture.

Ahh, i had gravel like that when i started a whils back, ah the good old days, LOL.

Nice tank though, itll look cool when the plants fil out. But just to back up what gf226 said, that purple and green plant infront and around your rock feature isnt aquatic. :nod:

Beny :thumbs:

nice tank m8 im starting up my first planted tank so far ive got 1 plant lol a java fern which has been in there for 4 days and its growing lol :kewlpics:

Ambulia or Cambomba - is it plastic or real?
That Cambomba is a plastic plant.

Interesting choice of background paper - is that a reef?
Yeah the background picture is a reef with 3 fish stickin it's head out (dont ask me why, this was Kage decision).

I was thinking of a diy c02 with a bell diffuser, would that work? The light strip (i dont know how many watt, didn't check) is 10,000 K.

The centrepiece plant in front of your "rock feature" in the non-aquatic plant Crimson ivy
The Crimson ivy is non-aquatic? Oh golly I didnt' know that.

Nice tank coolx.gif any chance of some close up pics of your fish?
The fish darts pretty fast so it'll be sorta hard to get a picture of them. We'll try and see if we could get a picture.

Most reactions

Back