Final Setup Advice Needed

leavingreality

Reaction score
HI,

I've been lurking on here for a month or so after going to a lfs and thinking what little advice they gave didn't sound right. I ended up buying an old juwel from ebay, I'm not sure of the make but it is 2ft 9 lentgh by 1ft 8 height by 1ft 2.5 width. It came with a eheim 2213 filter and new media. It also has 2 lights in the hood one seems a bit darker than the other one but I'm not sure how to tell what strenght they are. I have bought a fluval tronic 150w heater and some aquasafe to treat the water. The lfs tried to sell me some bacteria stuff for 10 quid today but I declined after my reading on here so far.

I'm just in the process of washing my argos sand I've done one 15kg bag but it has only covered about 1cm depth so do you think I should put in some or all of the second bag I bought? I'm wanting to get some plants at some point but am just trying to get it all setup to start a fishless cycle. I have an api master kit too but that is my next step to play with that once I've finished figuring out the filter etc.

So am I missing anything obvious so far? Should I put in more sand if I want plants and how deep should it be really? I saw a petricola catfish today that looked cute but not sure if they will get to big for this tank as the sign said they grow to 13cm so any ideas for something similar but smaller?

I'm not decided on the fish really yet apart from wanting things like neon tetra's and zebra danio and maybe some male guppies and cherry shrimp but i know i'm not at that stage yet to start thinking seriously about fish yet.

Sorry this is a bit waffley but so many questions and just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for the wellbeing of my future fish.

Thanks

Suz

I would get the tank / kit set up and full of water ASAP. That way you can check there are no leaks etc and you can also start the fishless cycle. Then mess around with sand etc.

I covered our tank and have not switched the lights on to avoid anythig growing in the tank (one less issue to be bothered with).

Miles

I would get the tank / kit set up and full of water ASAP. That way you can check there are no leaks etc and you can also start the fishless cycle. Then mess around with sand etc.

I covered our tank and have not switched the lights on to avoid anythig growing in the tank (one less issue to be bothered with).

Miles

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think you're right but I tried to put the filter together last night and it is like the krypton factor. I have a feeling I'm missing a bit or I just need more tubing but I think I'm going to get another one off ebay as I can see an auction near me ending tomorrow then I can use that for parts as well if I ever need some.

I'll cover up the tank though that's a good idea I hadn't thought of that and it is nearly half full from me playing with it yesterday. I'm just excited and want to get started playing with it all really but getting there slowly I guess.

have you read this yet ? http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/113861-fishless-cycling/

Hi, Yes I have thanks that's why I wanted to put some of the sand in but can't decide if it is deep enough. It has settled ok over night it is just figuring out how to hook up the filter is stumping me now, and as it came with the tank off ebay I'm just a bit worried it's missing something rather than just me being blonde. I think I'll have another ponder about it and maybe see what time the place i got the heater from closes to see if I can get some more hose as I think that's the main issue. I want to give it a try in the garden first though to check the seals are ok as it is external so I don't flood the living room or anything.

Suz

sand needs to ne 1.5 inch min IMO and is on all 4 of my tanks.

whats filter did you good we can try tell what your missing there all the same give or take. Do you have a ebay link?

Just before you fill it up - have you got it on some polystyrine to even out the pressure on the bottom?

Are you using an internal or external heater? If internal you could be getting the water up to temp :) Maybe someone here will be able to help you in the set up of the pump; I suggest you post a specifi question / search for that pump's name...

Miles

Just before you fill it up - have you got it on some polystyrine to even out the pressure on the bottom?

Are you using an internal or external heater? If internal you could be getting the water up to temp :) Maybe someone here will be able to help you in the set up of the pump; I suggest you post a specifi question / search for that pump's name...

Miles

Most jewl tanks have floating bases, 4 of mine do which means you dont need polystyrine :good:

it came with a eheim 2213 classic filter I understand how the bits fit inside and I've got sponges and different things, but it is putting all the tubes and taps and elbows and spray bar together that is stumping me. That's also why I think I don't have enough hose. I've read the instructions but they aren't great. I found a youtube video of someone showing theirs put together and explaining some of the bits (well a 2215 but it is the same really) but i can't work it out. Maybe I do just need to cut up what hose I have already and buy some more for the longer bits in and out of the tank and that might sort it.

I got the heater from a maidenhead aquatics do you think if I took it there they might help me figure it out or just try and sell me something else? That or does anyone recommend something different but from what I've read it isn't a bad filter just hard to put together.

Yeh it is a hood filter from what I have heard, you could take it the the shop to see if they can help.

The hoses should be able to reach to the top of the tank, and then bend over the back or side of the tank, you could take a picture of everything you have got and where the problem is so that we can try and help.

I wouldnt suggest buying a second filter for new hoses, as these will be cut to their tanks length (unless it's new) so probably won't be long enouph.

Miles

I haven't got polystyrine but it has a wooden frame thing along the bottom of the tank. It was heavy enough when it was empty and there is no way I will be able to shift it half full now. Maybe when i do a water change at some point in the fishless cycle i could put some in?

I didn't realise I could put the heater in without the filter sorted I got a fluval tronic 150w internal one so would that be ok if I finish filling it up? I haven't seen any sign of leaks yet (touch wood) so I'm pretty confident the tank is sound. I'll try and sort some pictures out later as I love looking at the photo journals that other people have done.

it is my lucky day it seems. I'd seen an advert for bogwood and just talked to the guy selling it who has loads of tanks and will be able to help me with an internal filter (so no risk of floods if it goes wrong) and some mature media later today!!!

So tank is full, heater is on and will be a lot further forward by tomorrow now that I first thought this morning at least. Will have to start thinking about fish properly now which I hadn't been much as I was expecting a couple of months of fishless cycle.

Brilliant turn up on the bogwood and other bits! Im about to start the same process, and im hoping to do it with some mature media also, so keep us updated, ill certainly be interested in how your getting on!

I think I might just get a lotto ticket. Ended up chatting for hours and learned a lot got some amazing bog wood and a much easier to use filter. Hopefully might be ready for fish next week now already with the media I got as well. Just need to think a bit more about the fish I want and they have some I might be able to have as well. Seeing a 7foot tank along with tanks around 3 sides of their kitchen was really inspirational I think I might have to get a 6-7foot one next for my study :)

Most reactions

Back