Fin rot or tail biting.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Honestly this fish will be the death of me. I've got uo today and noticed quite a large chunk of my bettas tail seems to be missing. I've attached a couple of pics although they aren't the best, hoping someone can help me identify if they think its fin rot or tail biting.
I'm leaning personally towards the biting as it seems to have happened literally overnight. There are no sharp ornaments he could have have got caught on etc.
I've tested my water and parameters are amonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate between 0 and 5.
I did move the light on his tank from the back to the lid and added an air stone around 4 days ago and wondering whether the new light position could have been bothering him so I've put things back the way they were.
Either way, what else can I do to help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210202-124332_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210202-124332_Gallery.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210202-124321_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210202-124321_Gallery.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 55
My thoughts are that it’s tail biting and not rot. Should throw a bit of aquarium salt in to make sure it doesn’t get infected or anything though just Incase.

Thanks for the reply, that was my first thought. Would fin rot even occur so quickly?
Anyway ill be doing a water change today and add some aquarium salt. Any opinions on how much for a 5 gallon tank?

Thanks for the reply, that was my first thought. Would fin rot even occur so quickly?
Anyway ill be doing a water change today and add some aquarium salt. Any opinions on how much for a 5 gallon tank?
The general rule is a tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Fin rot usually has an underlying infection or disease that’s causing it so sometimes it goes undetected and then will just. Show up rather quickly. But I don’t think it could appear just overnight. Just make sure to keep up with the water changes and he should bounce back nicely and have some good ol fin regrowth:)

The general rule is a tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Fin rot usually has an underlying infection or disease that’s causing it so sometimes it goes undetected and then will just. Show up rather quickly. But I don’t think it could appear just overnight. Just make sure to keep up with the water changes and he should bounce back nicely and have some good ol fin regrowth:)
Here’s one of my lady’s that was in with a fin nipper. Kept up with the water changes and gave her some salt and there’s a month difference here

Attachments

• AD55BEAF-4F5C-41A8-A377-1441391E88C3.png
    AD55BEAF-4F5C-41A8-A377-1441391E88C3.png
    407 KB · Views: 52
  • 7693D16F-92B7-457D-A20E-2B83BB0CA9D7.jpeg
    7693D16F-92B7-457D-A20E-2B83BB0CA9D7.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 57
Wow what a difference. Should I do daily changes for a while? If yes for how long? Or should I just carry on with my normal routine. I usually do around 50% weekly.

I’d say you’re safe with your weekly changes but if he gets any worse or if there’s any signs of sickness or anything like that you will want to change it a little more or switch to medication and with the medication you’d have to follow the instructions on water changes. But that’s only if it gets worse

It does appear to be tails biting to me.

Salt is not necessary, but it will prevent infection. Clean water is the best remedy for torn/bitten fins.

75%+ daily water changes for a week, or until things improve is what I recommend.

Most reactions

Back