Fin Rot Or Ich?

Spent198

Reaction score
So I have been cycling my tank for quite some time now and following the guidelines posted...

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=141944

I noticed today that a number of white spots have developed on one of my Swordtails, but I can only see these spots on his fins which leads me to believe that I am dealing with fin rot. On the other hand, Ich is also known as "White Spots" which throws me for a loop. Also, smaller spots have started to form on one of my Guppies on his fins and two spots on what looks like his body, so I am a bit concerned. As stated in the guidelines posted above, I have not used medications due to the fact that my water parameters are my number one concern. Then again, I don't want to watch my fish die because I didn't treat them properly. I have PrimaFix and MelaFix standing by...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I noticed smaller white spots on the tips of my Swordtail's fins a week or so ago, but paid no attention at the time. Since then, the spots have appeared in new areas...

Thanks,
Carl

It is not fin rot from your description.

White spot or ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt grains. There is something else with goldish dust spots called velvet.

Both velvet (protozoan) and ich are parasites. The meds in the USA and UK are often different. In the USA for a tank that is newly cycled I would recommend Mardel products since it is not necessary to remove the filtering.

USA Ich meds are:

Aquarium Pharmacueticals: AquariSol, Rid Ich, and Clout. (I believe these are available in the UK, but there may be UK meds that are more effective.)

Mardel: CopperSafe

There are others. These are the ones I have used. What you use often depends on how advanced the parasite is.

MelaFix and Pima Fix are not effective with ICH. But may be useful to prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

It is not fin rot from your description.

White spot or ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt grains. There is something else with goldish dust spots called velvet.

Both velvet (protozoan) and ich are parasites. The meds in the USA and UK are often different. In the USA for a tank that is newly cycled I would recommend Mardel products since it is not necessary to remove the filtering.

USA Ich meds are:

Aquarium Pharmacueticals: AquariSol, Rid Ich, and Clout. (I believe these are available in the UK, but there may be UK meds that are more effective.)

Mardel: CopperSafe

There are others. These are the ones I have used.

What you use often depends on how advanced the parasite is.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose another question would be, should I treat this issue even though my tank is currently in the cycling process?

-Carl

I added more in edits.

Ich is dangerous. Waterquality is important, and the illness is probably a result of the stress from the water issues. Have you tested the water? Your LPS will test it for you if you take a sample.

I would treat for the ich with Mardel's CopperSafe as it will allow you to continue filtration. Anti ich meds are not anti bacterial so they in general do not harm the good bacteria, but most anti ich meds are removed by carbon filtration.

Here is an ad from PetCo here

I added more in edits.

Ich is dangerous. Waterquality is important, and the illness is probably a result of the stress from the water issues. Have you tested the water? Your LPS will test it for you if you take a sample.

I would treat for the ich with Mardel's CopperSafe as it will allow you to continue filtration. Anti ich meds are not anti bacterial so they in general do not harm the good bacteria, but most anti ich meds are removed by filtration.

Here is an ad from PetCo here

Thanks! Yes, I had some huge issues with ammonia spikes but now my numbers have all leveled out and ammonia is no longer present. I am assuming that Ich developed because of the stress placed on the fish and the poor water quality during cycling. I will go pick up some Mardel's CopperSafe tomorrow.

Thanks a ton for the advice!

-Carl

If the CopperSafe is not completely effective, Clout is the strongest. (Because of the safety of Mardel products, they are sometimes less effective.) Follow directions concerning second treatments. Parasites operate in cycles and sometimes (like fleas) have to be treated a second time. But the CopperSafe should work with one treatment, I think.

Good Luck

I have to correct some mis-information:

I incorrectly stated the product manufacturers. AquariSol and Clout are from Aquarium Products. Aquarium Pharmacueticals also is a firm with such products as Aquarium Salt. Mardel has a second treatment of Maracide as well as the CopperSafe. Rid-Ich+ is from Kordon. Just being fair. I would still go with the CopperSafe, though.

Most reactions

Back