Filters

trinity0_10

Reaction score
Hi, I last kept Tropical Fish about 20 years ago & we have decided to start again. Also hello. :rolleyes:

I will be having a 3 foot tank but as yet we are unsure as to what fish we will keep. Probably just community fish.
To start with I require advice on filters, the last I used were charcol, what would be the best type of filter to use,? I have seen internal & external. I suppose the external would be easier to clean / maintain? I don't really know how these work though.
Any help & advice please. This will be the start while I progress on setting the tank up.

Cheers, Mike

imo, internal filters just take up space and are not nearly as effective as they might seem. they can be good for buffing, but there are other, more effective ways.
i would suggest wither a good HOB filter (i recommend aqua clear by hagen) or a canister.

imo, internal filters just take up space and are not nearly as effective as they might seem. they can be good for buffing, but there are other, more effective ways.
i would suggest wither a good HOB filter (i recommend aqua clear by hagen) or a canister.

Hi,
The external type I had seen was like the Fluval 304 or Aqua Pro? I had not thought of a HOB [ found what the abbreviation stood for. :good: ] Would a HOB be better than the others as they do seem fairly big & I suppose stand on the floor?
I would just like easy maintenance of the filter as I am not as agile as I used to be.

Hi Mike and welcome to TFF!

I'm just like you, one of those who came back after decades of not doing the hobby. I always had internal and HOB (Hang on Back or "power" filters) back then. You are making an excellent, wise choice to begin by studying and learning about filters. There's a lot more practical knowledge about them than I thought from my old experiences. For instance, carbon (charcoal, activated charcoal) is actually a "chemical media", one of three main functional types of media to learn about, and is optional and usually just kept on the shelf, not used regularly by experienced fishkeepers.

Unfortunately I'm short on time at the moment but I'm sure the members will help you with more info. Just to make as short a statement as I can: external cannister filters are a -dream- compared to the older things we used in the past, in my opinion!

~~waterdrop~~

Hello Mike,

For freshwater fish, the best all-around choice remains a decent external canister filter, just as it was twenty years ago. Indeed, some filters, like the Eheim 2217, are still on sale and represent good value for money. For your tank, either the 2217 or the smaller 2215 would work nicely, depending on the type of fish you're planning to keep.

A good rule of thumb is to choose a filter with at least 4 times the volume of the tank in turnover per hour if you're keeping small fish (neons, guppies, Corydoras, etc.). If you're keeping bigger and messier fish, such as plecs, goldfish or cichlids, then 6x to 8x the volume of the tank will be in order. So assuming your tank contains 125 litres of water, a filter rated at 500 litres per hour would be fine for small tropical fish, or 750-1000 litres per hour for bigger, messier fish.

Carbon (charcoal) is largely obsolete and I recommend against it.* Back in the day, people avoided water changes and the result was aquarium water turned yellow and filled up with organic acids that lowered the pH. Carbon removed these chemicals, keeping the water clearer. But the modern hobby recommends big, regular water changes (25-50% weekly) so you should never get a situation where the water turns yellow. Hence, carbon doesn't do anything useful.

Internal canister filters can be good for small tanks but they're expensive for what they do. They also tend to work poorly in tanks with messy fish. I cannot fathom any reason why hang-on-the-back (HOB) filters are so popular. Apart from the fact they expose the biological media to the air, ensuring the bacteria get lots of oxygen, they're severely compromised in other regards. For example, they lock you into using proprietary media cartridges, often including useless carbon and zeolite ones you don't need. They also have the inlet and the outlet close together, which means poor circulation in the tank. By contrast both external canister filters and undergravel filters ensure good circulation of water throughout the tank.

Undergravel filters can be extremely good value and work brilliantly. The only reason they aren't popular today is that they only work in tanks with a flat gravel substrate, no plants with roots, and no big rocks. If these limitations don't matter, a properly set up undergravel filter is still as good as any.

Cheers, Neale

*Why? Two things: Firstly, it wastes space that could be used by useful media. Secondly, it removes medication, so you'd have to remember to remove it whenever treating your fish. On top of these issues, it has to be replaced every couple of weeks to do its job. If that doesn't appeal, don't bother buying it at all!

Most reactions

Back