Filters for large (over 75 gallon) tanks

FishGuy81

Reaction score
I'm thinking about eventually taking the plunge (no pun intended) and getting a tank of 90 gallons or larger. It seems that I can't find filters for tanks that size in local stores or on many websites. Even on Amazon it seems like a pain. Are there any sites you all use?

You could have a look at Eheim 2075 (professional 4 600litre) that filter will be fine for 90 gal (350litre) tank as it does fine for any tank sizes between approx 62 - 150 US gals (250 - 600 litres).

This is a UK priced website but am sure you can find this on US based websites as Eheim filters are known worldwide and also known for being pretty good filters really.

Are these cannister filters more effective than the external ones that attach on the outside of the tank? Do you still need an underwater filter with them? They're expensive but curious if it's a better purchase. Are there filter cartridges that need changing?

Yes, imho external canisters are more effective than hang on back filters for large tanks.

For a number of reasons, hold more filter media, better flow and larger water turnover.

There are usually no filter cartridges in most external canisters, usually trays for holding sponge media, ceramic noodles media, bio media and filter floss which you do change the filter floss during every filter maintenance which is normally every 2 to 4 weeks depending on tank set up and livestocking etc.

A little more pricey but worth it.

There is another half decent brand you can have look into something like Fluval FX 4 or 407 which you’d need to research if they’re suitable for your tank size or too powerful, I’ve not had these filters before so can’t really comment on those.

But here are a number of external filters brands that suits all sorts of tank sizes and budgets.

Just a case of researching and actually going into LFS and having a proper look and feel of build quality and size of different filters and asking around what folks use and how they find and if they like their filter to use.

Are these cannister filters more effective than the external ones that attach on the outside of the tank? Do you still need an underwater filter with them? They're expensive but curious if it's a better purchase. Are there filter cartridges that need changing?
The advised rate of filtration is at least 4 times your aquarium's water per hour (depends on stocking levels and whether aquarium is planted). Hang On Back (HOB) filters can't do this on a 75g, they are designed more for smaller setups, particularly where reduced flow is important, for a Betta fish for example.

The bigger the tank gets, the bigger an internal filter would need to be and so it ends up being counter productive, as they take up your tanks valuable space. So cannister filters are the more heavy duty filter required for the bigger tanks, that can perform the 1000+ litre / hour turnover

A note on cannister filters - the manufacturer often advertises a flow rate which is higher than what it would be in normal use. The flow rate they state is when the input/output hoses are level with the filter (not pushing water up to a tank) and with no media inside the filter. You should approximately half the advertised rate to see what it is in normal use

Last edited:
The advised rate of filtration is at least 4 times your aquarium's water per hour (depends on stocking levels and whether aquarium is planted). Hang On Back (HOB) filters can't do this on a 75g, they are designed more for smaller setups, particularly where reduced flow is important, for a Betta fish for example.

The bigger the tank gets, the bigger an internal filter would need to be and so it ends up being counter productive, as they take up your tanks valuable space. So cannister filters are the more heavy duty filter required for the bigger tanks, that can perform the 1000+ litre / hour turnover
I used to have a hang on back filter as well as an underwater sponge filter for my aquarium. The cannisters are so expensive but I figured I would ask about those.

Oase have just launched a new bio master thermo 850 which is a really nice piece of kit and you get all the media with it - though you can add more bio media as the bag you get is quite small.

I like internal filters. Keep everything you can inside your tank. Some internal filters will move 1000l per hour. Clean the pads once a week no problems.

I'm thinking about eventually taking the plunge (no pun intended) and getting a tank of 90 gallons or larger. It seems that I can't find filters for tanks that size in local stores or on many websites. Even on Amazon it seems like a pain. Are there any sites you all use?
I'm currently using a fluval fx6 on a 75 gallon and I've reduced the flow by probably a 3rd because it was too much.
It should do well on a 90 gallon :)

I've also had multiple susnsun 304b filters. The build quality is not super great, but they move a lot of water and hold a lot of media.

It looks like you are in the US, and both of these are on Amazon.

Most reactions

Back