Filter

Fastpage17

Reaction score
Hello: I was a fairly serious hobbiest for many years but have not had a tank for 20 years. I recently started setting up a 55 gal freshwater tank. I am totally unfamiliar with the new generation of filters and would like some recommendations for a reliable, efficient filter for this tank. Also, I used to use an undergravel filter in conjunction the filter on the back of the tank. Does anyone still do this or even use undergravel filters anymore? Thanks for your help.

In general, most peopld don't like the UGF filters because they are less stable and easier to send your tank into a mini-cycle. I have an aquaclear filter in my 40 gal tank and it seems to work really well. I also know people like the bio wheel filters. I have used whisper filters before in smaller tanks (20 gal) and it worked well too.

Hi. Penguin, Emperor, Aqua-Clear, Fluval, Eheim, Whisper are all filters that people will reccomend as being good filters. I decided to go with a Penguin 350 for my 55 gal. It's more than you really need which is good, and the current isn't too too strong. It gives off a little noise from the water flowing over the bio-wheels but it's not too bad. There's lots of room for filter material, and it isn't too expensive. Whatever you decide to buy, just make sure it can filter at least 220 gallons per hour.

Thanks for your replies. I have been out of the hobby for so long I didn't even know what a bio wheel was until I started looking around. I found in the old days if you could get the filters right, that was 90% of the battle in keeping healthy fish. I have to admit, I am somewhat skeptical about the bio wheels but that is purely from an ignorant point of view, which is why I asked the question. Just doesn't look like a design to me that would work that well but obviously it does. Gatting old, I guess. Thanks again.

Good luck getting going again! Hope all goes well for you, keep us posted of your progress! :thumbs:

First of all, welcome to TFF, & welcome back to aquatics! :)

Some of your filter decisions will depend on what type, & the quantity of fish you plan on keeping. As a general rule, you want to turn over the tank 5 times per hour. This would mean a filter in the 250 to 300 gallon per hour range. With canister filters you can drop this down to around 3 times per hour due to their larger media capacity. This would be for your average community tank.

If you plan on keeping larger messier fish like plecs or cichlids, or plan on stocking the tank more heavily, you would want to double the filtration.

I just had to buy a new filter and spent some time looking into various manufacturers on this forum. Eheim filters seemed to be very well recommended so I opted for one and have been very pleased.

Some of your filter decisions will depend on what type, & the quantity of fish you plan on keeping. As a general rule, you want to turn over the tank 5 times per hour. This would mean a filter in the 250 to 300 gallon per hour range. With canister filters you can drop this down to around 3 times per hour due to their larger media capacity. This would be for your average community tank.

If you plan on keeping larger messier fish like plecs or cichlids, or plan on stocking the tank more heavily, you would want to double the filtration.

Thanks to everyone for your reply. In reponse to the type and quantity of fish--my concession to my wife for being allowed to put this tank on her new carpet in the living room is that it would be a tetra tank (her favorites). I am therefore planning on a school of a dozen or so cardinals, some bleeding hearts perhaps and a few other good community fish. I am planning on going to the tetra forum and discussing that a little with the folks there. They will all be smaller guys and I will put about 30-35 in the tank. No large, messy critters for the time being. (Alhough this tank last held two tiger oscars for about 8 years and I miss them. Might have to try that again with a little bigger tank if this restart of my hobby works well).

I also see that Eheim makes filters with combined heaters which appear to be large enough for a 55. Anyone have any thoughts on those? Kind of appeals to me after reading their add.

As to my progress, I just finshed scrubbing and taking all the old sealant out of the aquarium and redoing it. I didn't trust it after being in storge dry for so long. Filled it and let it sit for a few days--no leaks. Looks like the acutal tank (and stand) is the only thing from the old days I will salvage so I am looking for the filters etc. I am also reading up on the "fishless cycle" which we did not do in my day. We just let the tank run for about a week and started putting in a few fish. Thanks again for all your help and interest

[/quote

By the way, Tolak, it looks from your little blub and picture under your name that we might some thoughts in common. :)

By the way, Tolak, it looks from your little blub and picture under your name that we might some thoughts in common. :)

Sorry, don't know how I messed up that last post. Can't seem to undo it.

I'd recommend the marineland penquin bio-wheel 350 power filter it may be alittle expensive ($50) but its worth it. For fish I'd recommend 5 long finned black widow tetras, 5 black widow tetras, 4 small angelfish and then once the angels get bigger and form a pair return the other 2 that didn't pair up (there is a pinned artrcle in the new world cichlid section about angelfish). Then maybe a common or bristlenose pleco.

Most reactions

Back