Filter Suitability For 260 Cichlid Tank

locust267

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi again, just about to re cycle my old filter which has been switched off since January. I am hoping to keep malawi cichlids, so from what I've read will eventually need to overstock. I think I've decided on the add daily method this time around due to gaining higher bacteria levels for an overstocked tank??

I have a TetraTec EX1200, and this is where I need the help. From what I've read, I understand the filter for a cichlid tank should process 4/5 x more than the average community tank? I have a 260l tank, so judging by the rules this "should" stand me in a good place with filtration levels? 1200l per hour divided by 5 being 240l? (Please let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick).

I'm hoping that my current filter will be OK for a while (cycling and then adding the first lot of fish), and if my fishies seem to be getting on OK and I am able to add more, I am then hoping to add another filter of some sort.

Any advice welcomed.

Vicki

1200lph per hour will be the dry rate without media and piping. Once it is all loaded up, you will probably be lucky to get 800lph. I think that Eheim are the only people to put the loaded lph rates on their boxes.

1200lph per hour will be the dry rate without media and piping. Once it is all loaded up, you will probably be lucky to get 800lph. I think that Eheim are the only people to put the loaded lph rates on their boxes.

Thanks, so based on that, if I'm lucky I'd be good for the equivenlent of a 160l tank... Based on those results, once the filter is cycled:

1) How many say for example electric Yellows could I put in with that filtration rate?
2) What filter would be good as a second filter?

Cheers

I only keep new world Cichlids sorry (apart from Brichardi), so not really sure about the numbers for Malawi. On my 300l new world tank I have a Fluval 405 and an Aqua One Aquis 1250 and they seem to do the job pretty well. If you want your tank over filtered, then another Tetratec 1200 would probably do (unless you want a change).

I was starting to think about an internal, only because I have an air stone somewhere and when I used it before it was sooo noisy. My thinking is that if I can get an internal filter it might ripple the water a little better?

I am not sure what the Tetratecs are like, but on a Fluval if you use the oulet nozzle instead of the spray bar, and aim it up slightly you can get a lovely rippling effect which will airate the water. I have also heard that you get a decreased flow rate if you use the spray bar (I have not seen any evidence of this though). I do not use an airstone at all on my tank as I find that this is sufficient. It is also so quiet that I often check the plugs are actually turned on!

On my 210l malawi cichlid tank I am running a 750lph filter and a 2000lph filter. I am also running a 900lph powerhead, but that's just for more flow.

How much filtration you need depends on how much you stock your tank. Malawi tanks are usually heavily stocked to reduce aggression, which means a lot of filtration (and a lot of water changes). Have you seen the unbranded external filters on ebay? You can get a 2000lph filter very cheap. I've noticed that mine are slightly noisy, but you get used to a relatively quiet humming noise. I have a 2000lph and a 1000lph of these filters, and am pleased with them. They don't feel quite as tough as my rena filter, but if you use the correct media then you only have to clean them every 6 months and they are strong enough as long as you don't drop it etc.

cheers,
Ben :good:

your filter will be ok id add a couple of wave makers the cheapo ones on fleabay are pretty good! do 50% wc a week and you will be fine! :good:

As Ben said its all about how many fish you want to stock locust.On the other hand You can overstock malawi's and most people always say 'yes overstock them it reduces aggression' but overstocking can be a bad idea if you don't choose your species wisely. Some get stressed/dont colour up well at all and look unhealthy (seen in many peoples overstocked tanks) and if your water is not kept perfect the fish wont be at their best health n quality.You still need a good amount of filtration even if your not overstocking your tank, Ideally you need a water turnover of 4/6x your aquarium volume (as you said). So, depends what you can get your hands on? how much you have to spend etc.? A couple of externals that are adequate enough for 300L aquariums they will be more than adequate, you could sell your current external and go ott with a fluval FX5 amazing filters these i have 2 on my 6ft and 1 on my trigon 350 keep's them spotless. :good:

As i always think with malawi's you can never have enough filtration ;)

with malawi's you can never have enough filtration ;)

+1.

Water changes are really important as well if you want your fish to look great. I do at least 1 x 50% WC per week, but often 2.

When doing water changes I use a hose as it is so much easier. I normally do school work while I wait for it to empty and fill (I put the water in slowly so the heater can keep the water temp close to what it is normally). There are also a lot less drips than using buckets.

cheers,
Ben

with malawi's you can never have enough filtration ;)

+1.

Water changes are really important as well if you want your fish to look great. I do at least 1 x 50% WC per week, but often 2.

When doing water changes I use a hose as it is so much easier. I normally do school work while I wait for it to empty and fill (I put the water in slowly so the heater can keep the water temp close to what it is normally). There are also a lot less drips than using buckets.

cheers,
Ben

Plan on adding any more fish Ben, to your tank? Your doing quite large water changes but still shouldn't do any harm. When you next do a water change add the water a couple of degrees lower always gets them in the mood for breeding :hyper:.

If you point your spray bar towards the surface of the water then you won't have any issues with rippling the surface. As for the TetraTEC ex1200... i tested mine full of media and got somewhere about the 864 lph mark. Which i was pretty impressed with tbh. Personally i would stick with the 1200, it will provide plenty of filtration for the tank and has a far better media capacity than say the 305 or 405 from Fluval.

You can always add another external filter as and when you come across a good deal. :good:

Plan on adding any more fish Ben, to your tank? Your doing quite large water changes but still shouldn't do any harm. When you next do a water change add the water a couple of degrees lower always gets them in the mood for breeding :hyper:.

I'm going to add some more fish when I get enough money and once the current fish have grown a bit more. I'm basically going to up the sizes of the groups and then maybe add some line bred Aulonocaras.

I've noticed that when I do a lot of water changes that the fishes colours are much more vibrant, and they are much more lively. I've got a ndumbi red top holding ATM, and hopefully some of the others will start breeding once they are a bit bigger.

cheers,
Ben

I'm going to add some more fish when I get enough money and once the current fish have grown a bit more. I'm basically going to up the sizes of the groups and then maybe add some line bred Aulonocaras.

I've noticed that when I do a lot of water changes that the fishes colours are much more vibrant, and they are much more lively. I've got a ndumbi red top holding ATM, and hopefully some of the others will start breeding once they are a bit bigger.

cheers,
Ben
Yeah certainly livens them up and cool sounds good :good:

Thanks for all the comments, I guess I'll just have to wait and see how aggresive the fish are? I'm hoping to get beginner friendly fish and dont really want to overstock unless I HAVE to.

So... bearing the above comments in mind, I'll be OK with the ex1200 throughout cycling and for the first batch or two of fish (add four to six at a time), and after that point I could consider adding another filter?

With regards to the spray bar, should I just remove this completely?

Oh and also with regards to water changes - I get a bit scared, I beleive the WC were responsible for many deaths in my community tank... From reading about cichlids though they seem to like WC and cope better?

I always used a hose before, with Tetra Aquasafe, but I intend to swap to Prime.

Most reactions

Back