Filter Shredded Betta!

Al Murray

Reaction score
hi, i have a 3 foot tank with a fluval 3 plus filter in it. i went and bought a betta today and after 5 mins of being in my tank his anal fin was ripped and torn in several different places! i know that bettas don't like a lot of current so i put a piece of cola bottle around the outlet on my filter which kept the current down perfectly, until.. my betta swam above the filter he got sucked downwards and now his fin is all ripped :-( i have removed the pump for now but i am worried that the corys and upside down cats will struggle without a filter not to mention how to keep the tank clean! any ideas on how to make my filter safe would be really appreciated! would a spray bar which attaches to the outlet of the filter produce to much current?
betta01.jpg

I think the best option for all fish involved would be to buy a separate tank for the betta. From my experience, covering the input reduces mechanical filtration, and covering the output can have serious connotations for the other fish. Since bettas can be stressed to the point of exhaustion by fast currents, exceptionally large tanks, or other fish, it would be more ideal for him to have a 2.5-10 gallon tank on his own, or with a small, peaceful, dull-colored species of fish with low filtration needs.

:( Poor boy. Add some Melafix/Bettafix for him! Sometimes, when they aren't used to power/internal filters they don't know to avoid it. You might want to try a corner filter (Pennplax is good), it still filters the water and it has a bubble stone in it, but it won't create lots of current or shred his fins.

Off topic but I didn't wanna start a new thread..

Are females bettas more tolerant of filters than male bettas? Does it matter how high the currant is?

From my experience, female bettas and plakats do not have as hard of a time as male VTs and other heavily finned male bettas because they simply do not have all that fin weighing them down. However, there is a difference between having difficulty swimming and having a proper environment. Betta females may do fine swimming in a fast current, but at the end of the day, Betta splendens as a species was never intended for a fast current, just as it also was not supposed to live in cold or deep water. So, I would say the best policy with all bettas would be a wide, shallow, low-current, warm, well planted environment.

Aww poor fella

Fluval 3's are pretty fast flowing beasties, i have them in some of my tanks, but saying that my bettas cope well with them. You sure the filter did that? Mine sometimes stick themselves to the sides when they are lazy and I've not had ripped fins yet

He should recover with nice clean water. Is it possible to place stocking or tights around the filter? Maybe this will help :dunno:

Most reactions

Back