Filter Question

Troke

Reaction score
Hi,

I already have one tank which I've been keeping for a few months now but I still consider myself to be rather new. Today I obtained a new tank which I plan to fishless cycle. When I looked at the filter that came with it I was surprised to find that it is essentially the same kind as the one I'm currently using. The filter inserts are the same size at least, so I was wanting to know if I should take out one of the inserts in my already cycled tank and use it in the new tank. I figure it would be a good idea in order to get the bacteria in there but I'm not sure if I should use the foam, carbon or those white things in the mesh bag(told ya I'm still new). I don't want to mess up my current tank by removing bacteria but I think it shouldn't hurt; I recently purchased a test kit and tested the water in my tank finding that the ammonia and nitrite levels were magnificent.

So which insert should I use? If any...

Thanks.

yeah that should be fine take out one bit of media and stick it in your new filter, add a few fish to keep the leavles up and keep an eye on all the levels. that should get your tank up and running

As for which sponge, use the course one as you wouldnt need to replace that as often.

Hi,

I already have one tank which I've been keeping for a few months now but I still consider myself to be rather new. Today I obtained a new tank which I plan to fishless cycle. When I looked at the filter that came with it I was surprised to find that it is essentially the same kind as the one I'm currently using. The filter inserts are the same size at least, so I was wanting to know if I should take out one of the inserts in my already cycled tank and use it in the new tank. I figure it would be a good idea in order to get the bacteria in there but I'm not sure if I should use the foam, carbon or those white things in the mesh bag(told ya I'm still new). I don't want to mess up my current tank by removing bacteria but I think it shouldn't hurt; I recently purchased a test kit and tested the water in my tank finding that the ammonia and nitrite levels were magnificent.

So which insert should I use? If any...

Thanks.

my suggestion would be to run both filters in the old tank, if there is room and the curent would not be too strong, for say two weeks. you will need to over feed, something most of us do anyway, most without realising, for the time the second filter is in. do a damn good clean when you start the other tank. put some of the gunk cleaned from the old tank into the new one, when you add the filter and water. take some water stats, leave it 24 hours and do some more. if all is well your new tank should be about sorted, two or so days after you make the transfer. KEEP a close eye on the stats as you add fish, but theory says things should be good.

I'm going to be putting some of the filter media in tomorrow when I set up the tank. I was still planning on going through the fishless cycling process just to make sure my fish will be fine, but do I just follow the same instructions; putting ammonia into the tank to bring it up to 5 or 6 ppm and so forth. I've fully read the article on fishless cycling, do I still follow that even through I'm technically not starting from scratch or do I adjust it a bit?

Most reactions

Back