Filter Problems

helen78

Reaction score
i got a fluval u2 2 weeks ago for my main 64 litre tank which the problem is every few days the venturi stops working which means i have to take the bio node compartment out (the middle compartment) and clean it in tank water because it is covered in slime and clogs the venturi i only have to clean the bottom bit of that compartment because it is near the proppeller and the slime and dirt covers it twice now i have woken up and noticed no venturi working i got told the filter was right for my tank but should fluvals keep doing that the lfs said its a good thing as it means the filter is doing its job and cleaning but im not sure it seems to happen every 4 to 5 days it is so annoying to have to keep taking the middle compartment out and clean the bottom bit that sits near the propeller because its clogged with slime but i suppose if its right and it means its doing its job then i can put up with it im just worried that its on its way out and its a new filter i got 2 weeks ago

i only use fluval filters and i have not had my filters get clogged yet and one of them has been running close to 6 months now. IMO that should not be happening the slime buildup yes but the clogging no. (I hve 4 Fluval filters)

ive had the same problem however it isnt clogging. make sure the venturi hole is always above the water and isnt occasianaly getting water in it. iof the venturi stopps working. just try spinning the knob around and around till it works again. most likely just trapped air. also turning power off and on again can trigger it to work.

ive had the same problem however it isnt clogging. make sure the venturi hole is always above the water and isnt occasianaly getting water in it. iof the venturi stopps working. just try spinning the knob around and around till it works again. most likely just trapped air. also turning power off and on again can trigger it to work.
know this aint releated to you're question but with the fluval 2 do you have to use the cartridges? our can you adapt filter wool and bags of carbon to work cause i was thinking of getting one. thanks

know this aint releated to you're question but with the fluval 2 do you have to use the cartridges? our can you adapt filter wool and bags of carbon to work cause i was thinking of getting one. thanks
I have a Fluval U2 and a Fluval U3, I bought these new and never used the fine filter pad with the carbon on the otherside, I just get some of that quality fine filter pad you buy for pond filters or large external aquarium filters and cut them to size, you can fit them where the original fine filter and carbon pad goes, works a treat and saves a lot of money, and the fine filter bit on the fluval fine filter and carbon pad is far too thin, with the pond filter pad you get extra filtration. You don't need to change these till they are falling to bits, if you get a reduced output flow you can just clean them gently in some old tank water when you do your weekly 20%-25% water change.

i got a fluval u2 2 weeks ago for my main 64 litre tank which the problem is every few days the venturi stops working which means i have to take the bio node compartment out (the middle compartment) and clean it in tank water because it is covered in slime and clogs the venturi i only have to clean the bottom bit of that compartment because it is near the proppeller and the slime and dirt covers it twice now i have woken up and noticed no venturi working i got told the filter was right for my tank but should fluvals keep doing that the lfs said its a good thing as it means the filter is doing its job and cleaning but im not sure it seems to happen every 4 to 5 days it is so annoying to have to keep taking the middle compartment out and clean the bottom bit that sits near the propeller because its clogged with slime but i suppose if its right and it means its doing its job then i can put up with it im just worried that its on its way out and its a new filter i got 2 weeks ago
I don't get this problem, my venturi has stopped working on occasions, but I just take the venturi piece out of the socket and give it a blow or put a needle down the centre hole this clears it and solves my venturi operation failure.

How long have you had your U2 for, have you removed the impeller and given the inside shaft a clean out under hot tap and some cotton buds ? (by inside shaft I mean where you pulled the impeller out of) don't put anything else of the filter near the hot water tap, the whole bottom of your U2 can come off via the two press in clips either side.

Helen, relax a bit. The venturi is not needed at all. It is a nice way to put some bubbles into your water but those bubbles are merely cosmetic, not functional.

If the flow of your filter drops quite a bit, where it is almost not moving any water, that is a very different circumstance. In that case a clean of the filter sponges is probably in order. Simply losing the bubbles from a venturi is never any cause for alarm.

I operate a Fluval 4+ in one of my tanks and never clean it until the red flow indicator is fully exposed. I have never used the venturi on that filter because I found the air bubble noise it made annoying. It does just fine to maintain my 40 gallon long tank free of ammonia. It also does not cause any trouble for the endangered species that I keep in that tank. They are thriving and reproducing freely in the tank.

Most reactions

Back