Filter Problems

BeckyFish527

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been having some problems with my filter lately. I have a TopFin Power Filter and I've been having to change the cartridges a lot more than I should have to. Granted, I have very messy fish, but the filter itself overflows with water where it's not supposed to. When I put a new cartridge in, it goes back to normal. I have no idea what to do. I've gone through about 4 cartridges in like 3 months and it's a pain in the butt. Any suggestions?

Thanks

well if your filter gets clogged up with gunk, there is no need to chuck it. If you syphon out a bucket of water and then just wave the cartridge in the bucket to loosen up any gunk on it, the bacteria will be fine and it will give a good cleaning. You could ring it a little too if you want, but Im paranoid about hurting or losing the bacteria so I don't take the chance. Also, hwo often do you do wc's? If you do one every week, thsi should help remove any gunk that could get sucked up into the filter and will help put less of a load on the bacteria in your filter.

Ox :good:

well if your filter gets clogged up with gunk, there is no need to chuck it. If you syphon out a bucket of water and then just wave the cartridge in the bucket to loosen up any gunk on it, the bacteria will be fine and it will give a good cleaning. You could ring it a little too if you want, but Im paranoid about hurting or losing the bacteria so I don't take the chance. Also, hwo often do you do wc's? If you do one every week, thsi should help remove any gunk that could get sucked up into the filter and will help put less of a load on the bacteria in your filter.

Ox :good:

I never thought of doing any of that. I do water changes about every week to every other so I will take your advice into consideration. Thanks so much!

Most reactions

Back