Filter Problem On 28L Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wheelsoffury

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all
I think my filter is giving up. The long tube that kind of filters the water has stopped working so now I've had to remove it. I've 2 platies and 3 glow lights. They shouldn't go near the filter hole should they? I'm sorry my description isn't good. It is the part that has tiny little holes where the water comes through.

But anyway the sponge in the filter is beginning to wear. I clean the fish twice a week. All water testing has come back fine. How should I introduce the new filter should I need it? Do I completely remove the other? Or place the new one in with the old? How long should two filters stay in? Any other tips about the filter?
My fish seem just fine (after teething problems in the past) and I don't want anything bad happening.

Thanks in advance.

How are you cleaning the filter sponges? Have you checked the impeller? Impeller chambers can get gunked up and reduce the flow quite badly.

It should take years and years for sponges to wear out. They do need rinsing in old tank water every few water changes tho. If it's a Fluval 1 like I've got in one of mine it will need rinsing every week to keep the filter working effectively. It sounds a bit like my Fluval 1 which definitely needs rinsing weekly
I agree with fluttermoth. Check the impeller by removing it from the housing and also clean the housing with a cotton bud soaked in tank water. You'll be amazed how filthy they get. The gunk prevents the magnetic force that keeps the impeller moving and the filter working.

The long part with the holes the water comes through.
Do you mean the spray bar and you have just had to remove it from the filter itself? Or has the actual filter stopped working, i am assuming not if you are worried the fish may go near the hole left from removing the spray bar. If you have just removed the spray bar you wont need to replace the filter, spray bars are just an option on filter, you can run them without them
smile.png

How many sponges are in your filter, if there is more than one, just remove one and add a new sponge, but leave at least one of the old in there to repopulate the new, give it a few months and replace the old one as well. If you only have the one sponge, cut the old one in half and add a new one cut to size to fit, again, give it a few months and remove the other old half and add in the new resized other new part.

Or the intake? Where the water is sucked up through?

Most reactions

Back