Filter Positioning

donnylad1980

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading this. I'm new to this fish keeping lark as I've only had my tank for a few months. I've been doing as much reading as possible and thus far all is well (touch wood).

However, I wanted to ask, is there any tips that anyone could give me on the best way to position the filter and water flow? eg, should it be breaking the surface of the water?

Thanks

The filter should be making the surface of the water ripple. This is what causes the exchange of gas (oxygen inwards and CO2 outwards), the more agitation at the surface, the more oxygen dissolved in the water.

The more the water disrupts the surface of the water, the more oxygen will be in the water. Filter positioning is a bit of a personal preference though... what type of filter do you have?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading this. I'm new to this fish keeping lark as I've only had my tank for a few months. I've been doing as much reading as possible and thus far all is well (touch wood).

However, I wanted to ask, is there any tips that anyone could give me on the best way to position the filter and water flow? eg, should it be breaking the surface of the water?

Thanks

honestly it does not matter.
just make sure, as others have said, that there is plenty of surface disruption.

Most reactions

Back