Filter Noise

ryno1974

Reaction score
I bought a used Fluval 403 and it is making a rattling/grinding noise. I have googled my problem, and everything points to air trapped in the filter. I have shaken the living daylights out of it (man is a filter that big heavy when it is full of water!) but it is still doing it. I am planning on leaving it run until tomorrow evening and if it is still doing it I will take it down and redo it. Any suggestions on the best way to avoid this problem? The filter appears to work great besides the noise.

Thanks.

maybe the impellor is loose/broken strip it all down clean and have a look post pics if your unsure :good:

Mine made excessive noise when I first set it up, following the instructions I just gently rocked it from side to side which expels all the air - mines a 304. It now runs fairly quietly

Considering the age of the 403's now, I'd suspect the bearings are sot. A new set may go a long way to solving the issue. Alternatively, the motor head may be on it's way out, or there could still be an air-lock. Old fluvals (pre 04/05 series) are solid as rocks, but the new sh!? cannot touch them. I wouldn't buy a modern Fluval, but the 03 series were close to bomb-proof.

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back