Filter Mistake - Replacement Suggestions?

Raydawn

Reaction score
Hello all,

My tank is about four months old and I've been learning a lot. Especially about the role filter and filter medium play in the nitrogen cycle. I'm currently on my second HOB power filter. The one that came with my 20 gallon tank was poor and loud (and it didn't have any kind of bio-filtration) so I quickly replaced it with a Tetra Whisper EX20 which features a "bio-scrubber". After around 3 months, I did a large cleaning of the tank and I replaced the carbon filter medium. I experienced a pH/KH crash (lost some fish) and, long story short, now my tank is cycling again. I'm sure replacing the 3-month-old carbon filter medium greatly contributed to the re-cycling of the tank, despite the "bio-scrubber" in the EX20. I currently have the 20 gallon tank with only two remaining fish (sword and zebra danio).

I now plan on supplementing my HOB filter with an ATI Hydro II sponge filter to house some more bacteria. A friend told me that my HOB filter probably isn't powerful enough (I had suspected this) and suggested I replace it with a Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel Power Filter (rated for up to 30 gallons).

So my questions to you all are:

1.) Does anyone have any helpful information on the Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel power filter? Would this be appropriate for my tank (along with the Hydro II)? Is it quiet?
2.) When I replace my EX20 with an upgraded HOB, what should I do to save any good bacteria that are living in it?
3.) Months from now, when my new filter is in place and I need to replace the stage 1 media (carbon filter) what do I do to prevent a loss in bacteria that are living in it? I've read sometimes people float the old media in the tank for a while. Is this a good idea?

Thank you!

You shouldnt need to run carbon media in a healthy tank anyway. the only uses it has is to remove excess chemicals really. You also need to take it out if you ever medicate the tank.

Just take out the carbon and replace with a new sponge like a coarse sponge or fine, and you will have much better bio filtration and mechanical.

the pH crash i would put down to the water you replaced the old tank water with, carbon has nothing to do with pH :)

Also, when moving the old filter, try and get as much of the old filter medium into the new one as possible, if you can get all of it in, you will avoid any cycling excpet maybe a day or two of spikes.

I would run old and new filter in parallel for 6 weeks.

I would also recommend getting a single, decent, external filter over an internal and a HOTB. I find them to be considerably less hassle!

Thanks. Could you recommend a model? All in all, I'm just looking for a filter that is quiet, moves enough water, and has the kind of filtration I need for a healthy tank :good:

Eheim's Classic range is reliably good. Otherwise, the Fluval 105 or 205 should be ok.. I've used them before, but I prefer Eheim.

Eheim's Classic range is reliably good. Otherwise, the Fluval 105 or 205 should be ok.. I've used them before, but I prefer Eheim.

yep the 2213 would be a fine addition. and cheap enough if you look around.. the 305 will be fine from Fluval.

Ive bought an ehemi 2213 a month ago, love it, keeps my water crystal clear and is easy enough to setup and clean etc, just make sure you put the taps on, i didnt and mega regret it now.

Having a look at the Eheim website, the 2211 or 2213 would be about right.

Instead of running the filters parallel I'd suggest just doing a media transfer to the new filter.

Wow, this looks like a great filter. Thanks for the recommendation. I think I might go with the 2211. The 2213 looks like it might be a little beastly for my 20 gallon. Where do I want the intake and exhaust tubes in the tank and what direction should I point the flow?

Also, for the "media transfer" would I just take my old filter medium and squeeze it into the canister?

I have the 2213 on a 16 gallon :)

Take your old filter media, cut it up into little squares and shove it in the top, you might have to take a bit of the substratPro out, i had to take about a handful out to fit two 4X4 inch sponges in :)

if you can afford it go for the 2213. the flow rate they state on the box is never what happens in the real world. i think the flow rate is calculated with no media in the filter, putting media in reduces the rate obviously. ive got a 2213 on a 33G and despite being the 'right' size apparantly, the next size up would certainly be better, but i stuck with the 2213 for now. it does the job for me, but on a 20G tank it would be great. google charterhouse aquatics, i got mine from there and it included the expensive taps and also a full set of media, hose and hard pipes. was about 70 quid i think.

up to you where you put the pipes i guess. ive got a long tank, so mine are at opposite ends facing eachother. you also get a spray bar in the set i brought, but i dont use it as i want the water to flow along the back of my tank.

you cant go wrong with it.

The problem with a "bio wheel" or similar HOTB is that most of the bacteria are on the wheel (or whatever), not on the sponges, so transferring only the sponges won't work.

To transfer a sponge, remove it from the current filter and place near the inlet of the external filter, inside it.

I bought a filter a few months ago and I am very impressed with it. Odessa CSF-4. I bought it on ebay for $60 including shipping. I have it running on a 54 gallon and it works great! I have to buy as cheap as possible. My husbands been out of work for over a year and money is tight. As far as the penguin filters, they are nice filters. That's all I used to run but some of them are 20 years old and starting to break down alot. Hopefully the Odessa is going to be as trustworthy as the Penguins.

I'm looking at the numbers and it's interesting: The Tetra Whisper EX20 I'm currently using says it's rated for 10-20 gallon aquariums and a 110gph flow rate. The Eheim 2211 is rated for tanks up to 39 gallons at 60gph, and the 2213 is rated for 66 gallon tanks and 116gph! Much higher quality filtration I guess! I was worried about flow rate, but the true flow is on par with the output of my current filter, so I guess it won't be moving much more water, it'll just be doing a much better job?

I think you guys have convinced me... 2213 it is! Can't wait to get this thing. My aquarium is in the room where I do critical listening of music so it will be great to have a quiet filter. The Whisper was quiet enough when it was sitting in just the right spot, but I could rarely get it in a position where something on it wasn't rattling around. Definitely not a fan of the HOBs for this reason.

Oh, what exactly does the spray bar do? Does it "spray" the water out in a wide pattern, or is a bar with a bunch of holes in it that distributes the output across the tank? Is this an important consideration?

Most reactions

Back