Filter Media

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am changing from my 40 litre to my 70 litre in a few days time and someone had given me the answer but I can't find the post. My question is when I change the filter media over to the new filter do I need to put the old media behind the new media in the new filter or in front of the new media in the new filter from Tom

Inside it, you can replace the new media with old if you like.  E.g. if it's a sponge just take the new sponge out and replace with the old sponge. 

It doesn't actually matter where you place the media as long as the old media with the beneficial bacs are placed in the new filter. Persoanlly I'd sandwich the old media in between/ in the middle of new media as I like to think that means they spread more quickly but again it doesn't matter where you place it specifically.

Technically the bacteria prefer clean water so the best place for them to colonise is near the outlet after the mechanical media has removed any gunk from the inlet.  Some filter models have a special 'bio-chamber' near the outlet for this purpose.

This is the new filter and the filter media inside is one big cube so I don't know where I should put it in there I'm hoping you guys can say where you would put it on this specific filter thank from Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 25
Put all your old media in there, then cut the new stuff into a piece that will fill in the space at the top.

fluttermoth said:
Put all your old media in there, then cut the new stuff into a piece that will fill in the space at the top.

What Mrs Fluttermouth said

Would it be alright if I put all my old media into the same compartment that the new media is in. I would put it in the back so the two medias are touching and are in the same compartment which the blue one is in the picture from Tom

Yes, that would work fine :)

Most reactions

Back