Filter media change and level of “cleaning”

Negseven

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently changed the carbon pad in my Fluval U3 filter whilst doing a water change (30%) I cleaned the sponges and other carbon pad in the syphoned water from tank, should I have just swished them in the water, or ( like I did) really squeeze the media and get rid of the dirty media that was evident on the sponges and dirty carbon pad. So my question is, can you clean too hard and remove the beneficial bacteria on the media? I also don’t think I should have done the water change and filter media change at the same time? As my nitrite levels the next day were raised….

I have never had any trouble (in 30 years of using similar equipment) giving the sponge a good solid squeeze. I usually replace the carbon with a sponge, and just go full bio-media.

You need to really scrub the surfaces to dislodge the bacteria. Rinsing in water is never going to do this, and squeezing out the sponge/foam also will not have much if any effect. Don't use hot water, the temperature can kill bacteria. Lukewarm is fine.

And, you can do this cleaning/rinsing under the tap with no worries whatsoever. Chlorine in household water will not be high enough to effectively kill bacteria (ironic they use it!), and from what I have discovered from scientific studies of this issue, chloramine won't either. For 30 years I have rinsed my filters under the tap. I only have chlorine, but even when it is definitely higher (as in summer heat) it is not a problem. There is more bacteria, both nitrifying and other species, in the substrate than in the filter. I only use filters as water movers and for clarity, my plants do all the other, and I could shut down the filter without any negative. Further evidence that the nitrifying bacteria are not as delicate--or necessary--as many believe.

Most reactions

Back