filter, lighting and heater for my first a

Velvetgun

Reaction score
hello!!! sorry again for my bad English!
I'm so excited!!
Today my first aquarium arrived.
As I said in previous posts for now I can only put a small aquarium but I hope soon to be able to have a 250-300 liter one too.
My small aquarium is 60x30x30, unfortunately not having much height available (48 cm) I had to settle.
Can you help me now to find:
- the best external filter, which is adjustable in the case of betta for example.
- the best lighting not wanting complicated plants and having plants on the surface.
- the best heater, which consumes little and is very reliable

Could try a HOB filter or a small canister filter. I’m not sure what brands are available in ITA I’m guessing eheim or Sicce is most common?

Filter - option

A Dimmable light would be a good choice Twinstar or chihiros range are good quality - https://www.olibetta.it/tecnica/illuminazione-per-acquari?&f[8]=211

As for a heater it’s really up to you. Here’s a example - https://www.olibetta.it/aquael/riscaldatore-per-acquario-platinium

The website I’ve listed is Olibetta based in Austria I’ve used them a few times for tank delivery’s and other larger orders and had no issues :)

It’s probably best to find products that you can find reviews on and that fit to your budget. I went for a budget option on my external filter and seems like it has paid off since I’ve had no issues so far. Even try Amazon or a 2nd hand website/auction

Best of luck

Can you help me now to find:
- the best external filter, which is adjustable in the case of betta for example.
- the best lighting not wanting complicated plants and having plants on the surface.
- the best heater, which consumes little and is very reliable
Bettas do well with air operated sponge filters. You have an air pump outside the aquarium and it blows air through plastic hose into the filter, which is in the aquarium. Bubbles come out of the filter. They make a bit of noise and some people don't like it but it's a good type of filter for a Betta. Most other fishes can deal with power filters but these are usually too much for Bettas, especially if they have long fins.

The following link has some basic information about growing aquarium plants. you might be interested in it. About the only light unit I know of is the Fluval 3.0, which is quite good but expensive. However, you can use any type of LED light as long as it has a 6500K globe.

If you insulate the base, back and sides of the aquarium with 1-2 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets, it will trap a lot of heat and the heater won't use as much power. You just tape the foam to the outside of the aquarium.
You can put a coverglass on top the tank to trap heat. Use glass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick so it's less likely to chip compared to 2 or 3mm thick glass.

I find these lights good. They come in different sizes to suit your tank and they'll be fine for easy and floating plants. They are programmable so if you are willing to spend tie time setting them up you can have a really tailor them to your needs.

Heaters - take your pick from any of the major brands.

I've never bothered with external filters so can't recommend any. If you are just housing a betta, and perhaps a few dithers, then an external probably isn't necessary anyway.

Most reactions

Back