Filter Headache....

Devorax

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Having being set straight on my 90l tank's stock levels, it is also clear that I need a new filter. So people, which is the better filter?
Rena Filstar XP1 or Eheim 2215 Plus? I am looking for design quality/reliabilty and I don't know what to do.
I need to move fast in order to sort out my tanks, I need 2 tanks but can only use 1 filter atm, so need to bring in a decent 2nd filter quick-ish.
No arguing please....

Eheim classics are very reliable, I've never read anyone debate that, they are possibly the most reliable filter you can buy.

This comes at a price though, as their design is much simpler, they aren't as easy to maintain (not very hard either mind you).

They probably have similar real flow rates, both slower than what they are rated for once they have media in them.

The Rena is still pretty reliable, but compared to the Eheim classic will probably be able to take less neglect. Either way, it's good practice on any filter to regularly lubricate the o-ring and check/clean the impeller.

Neither is really better than the other, it really depends what your looking for. The Eheim classics just take a bit more faffing about to set up and clean, especially if it's your first canister filter, but once you get the hang of it it's not a problem.

Personally, I'm not even sure what I'd go for. Probably the Eheim, if it was for a tank I was planning to have for many years, but if it was heavily stocked tank, where I'd have to pen up the filter to clean it every few weeks, I'd go for the Rena.

In conclusion, both are good choices, but it's up to your personal preference :good: .

I like to over filter my tanks I have a Eheim 2215 on my 65L tank. Did have a Eheim 2217 but that was a bit too much for my tank. Must remember to put it on ebay soon.

Hi, I have gone and bought a new eheim 2224, is this overkill or a good decision? It was £70 delivered, and I was influenced by an interesting heated debate elsewhere on this forum. Seems asking which filter is best is like an invitation to war...lol

Most reactions

Back