Filter For New Tank

Hughesy

Reaction score
This probably sounds really dumb, but it does say beginners afterall.

I set up my new tank the other day (180l Rio tank) and it all seems to be working fine – I think!?

Basically the pump must be working because I can see the pump pushing the water, so it must be pushing out either air or water eh!

The temperature was 15 degrees when I first put it in the tank and we are now up to 25 degrees this morning. After only 10 hours of the water being in the tank.

What I now need to know is, how do I know if my filter is working? Does it make a noise?

Yesterday when the water 1st went in it sounded noisier than it does now – is this normal?

Im just trying to figure it out if you could help please.

Yeah they always normally make a racket when they first start working but thats normal, depending what filter you have you should be able to feel if its working by putting your finger over the outlet, budge your temp gauge up though as this will help the cycle process.

{{1 Nasty Bastard Puffer with Attitude, looking to make friends with snails and other small fish}}

I love to see a pic of 'Evil Bert'!!!! :hyper:

if you are using the standard Juwel filter you can point the output so it points upwards, you can see the the filter is working by the movement on the water surface!!!

{{1 Nasty Bastard Puffer with Attitude, looking to make friends with snails and other small fish}}

I love to see a pic of 'Evil Bert'!!!! :hyper:

Will try and get some pictures sorted for the weekend but then he probably doesn't look as much a nasty bastard as some others out there... B)

I have the filter pointing upwards and the surface water is moving, so do I take it that it is working fine?

Also within the tank on the rocks and ornaments etc there are small oxygen bubbles – which I take is also what should happen?

yeah it's working.

and yes it's not surprising the tank temp would have heated up in 10 hrs, takes about 2/3 hrs IME. :good:

Most reactions

Back