Filter for 55 gallon…

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I’ve been set on purchasing the Fluval U4 internal filter for my 55 gallon tank as it seemed suitable for the size. However after a bit of research I came across a couple of negative reviews which have made me question it. Anybody have experience with this particular filter? I’m planning to keep cichlids which I assume will produce a fair bit of waste so curious if this would be up to it. Failing that, canister filters are something I’ve not considered and have no experience whatsoever using but am open to. The only thing is the Fluval 307 is wayyyy out my price range and not something I would consider right now. Are there any other models anyone could recommend. I’ve also read they are considerably more expensive to run 😬

Cannister filters are the best way to go for big tanks. I personally use the aquamanta EX 400 - pretty sure it's Maidenhead Aquatics' own line - and it's worked great. Used it in my 40g and now in my 60g, absolutely perfect with zero issues. Only problem I've encountered so far is that it can be difficult to prime if you've got weak noodle arms like I do. Other than, it's really great.
Not actually sure on the price since it was something my dad got when I was first setting up my 40g. Would 100% recommend though.

I’ll look into it! Just stumbled across the AllPondSolutions filter, suitable for up to 1000 litres. Looks great and at £65 a hell of a lot cheaper than the Fluval 👀

Also, I assume I’ll have to cut a hole in the lid…?

Cannister filters are the best way to go for big tanks. I personally use the aquamanta EX 400 - pretty sure it's Maidenhead Aquatics' own line - and it's worked great. Used it in my 40g and now in my 60g, absolutely perfect with zero issues. Only problem I've encountered so far is that it can be difficult to prime if you've got weak noodle arms like I do. Other than, it's really great.
Not actually sure on the price since it was something my dad got when I was first setting up my 40g. Would 100% recommend though.
The EFX400 is £150 😬😬

I have a U4 and wouldn’t recommend it for a 4ft tank - the flow is just too weak so I wouldn’t use it for anything over 2ft. It can also be a bit unreliable and the flow will sometimes drop to trickle after maintenance.

Have you thought about buying a second hand filter? They’re sometimes available on sites like aquarist classifieds, Preloved and gumtree. Occasionally, people will give them away for free.

I’ve actually stumbled across this which I’ll be ordering when back in stock, seems to have very good reviews and considering it’s a 1000l/h canister, it’s actually cheaper than a Fluval u4 👀

The only adverse comments I have read about the All Pond Solutions filters are that the plastic is a bit flimsy (but OK if you know this and are gentle with it) and that the quoted turnover is for an empty filter and it's quite a lot lower when media is inside.

Most reactions

Back