Filter Died, What Do I Do?

nork

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a Marineland Penguin filter that just stopped working. I've tried plugging it into a different outlet that I know works and it won't come on.

This is my only filter, what can I do to ensure the safety of my fish?

I'm thinking my only other option right now is to run down to PetSmart and hope they have one in stock so I can replace it and pop in the existing filters.

Take it apart, check the impeller. Make sure there is no debris present, the bushings are ok, and the shaft is in one piece.

I took it apart, the impeller spins freely, but nothing happens when the filter is plugged in. No sounds, no buzzing, nothing.

Mess around with it more (I mean, if you break it, well, it was already broken anyways), then if all else fails run down and buy a new filter and cram all the old media you can back in it. I thought my old filter died, bought a new one, installed the new one and everything, then decided to play around with the broken one and BAM it ran perfectly after I stuck a Q-tip in the impeller chamber. :X

So just make sure its actually broken before you cough up money for a new one.

Often the impeller does need a push to start up, due to the design of the motors used on HOB filters. I find a pen works well for smaller filters, on larger ones I can usually squeeze a finger in to give it a shove.

Thanks guys. I went q-tip crazy on it and nothing would happen. It wouldn't even give out the humm of electric current, wouldn't start, was as if I wasn't plugging it in at all.

I ran to PetSmart, grabbed a new OTB filter (same model) and will end up ordering a canister filter soon, but this should hold over for now.

Most reactions

Back