Filter cartridge alternatives?

Aquarium guy person

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was at my lfs and they had these big foam pads that you cut to size and it sparked some questions. What is the most efficient alternative to cartridges? Would this be cheaper? Are cartridges better at filtering water? Let me tell you this is one of those filters that is suction cupped to the inside of the glass but still somewhat out of the water.

For my internal filter I replace the cartridge with a 3/4 inch thick reticulated foam sponge...I cut it with angles on the edges to fit properly in the housing. For my penguin filter, I removed filter material from a cartridge and used a tie that has a wire inside of plastic coating and tied the sponge and also filter floss to the cartridge. No more expensive cartridges. I replace the floss and then rinse the sponge in tank water every two weeks . Works for me.

I use AquaClear sponges and cut them to fit other brands of filter. The sponges last 10+ years and get re-used until they fall apart. They trap gunk and hold filter bacteria. Just squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water every couple of weeks and you're good to go.

Cartridge filters are marketing 'genious' at the expense of the consumer. But then it's like free razors, with a high cost for blades... Or inexpensive printers with a high cost for ink cartridges....there's serious long term money is in the consumables.
To get around this, many hobbyists 'hot rod' or 'pimp' their cartridge filters by replacing the cartridge with sponge material.
I haven't done this myself because I have several Aquaclear HOB's and they use sponges rather than cartridges - a very good design. As a matter of fact, I have my three Aquaclear 70 filters totally filled with sponge material.

Hey guys, I was at my lfs and they had these big foam pads that you cut to size and it sparked some questions. What is the most efficient alternative to cartridges? Would this be cheaper? Are cartridges better at filtering water? Let me tell you this is one of those filters that is suction cupped to the inside of the glass but still somewhat out of the water.
It depends on what kind of filter you have. What kind of filter do you have?

it’s an internal filter, like the one that is a box that goes in your aquarium but also releases water above water level

Most reactions

Back