Filter Bacteria

007_gaz

Reaction score
hi, i just wanted to check is it true that bacteria doesnt really grow on the sponges and that the sponge is more of a dirt trapper. i once read that the bacteria grows at top of media and in the cage part with those rings things in. i ask because if i was to replace the x2 sponges im hoping i would not lose any bacteria and that it would be in that cage area at top of filter.

I kind of feel those are two different issues. Bacteria do grow on the sponge. They really grow on any porous surface in both oxic and anoxic zones. So that's the first issue. The second is...are sponges really just detritus trappers...yes, they are. I hate them and whenever I can get away with not using them, I don't. But if you clean them regularly they are quite beneficial. I just never cleaned them regularly.

bacteria are in the filter media/sponge....

DO NOT replace both sponges at the same time, alternate them

thanks for advice. old matey in pet shop said to replace it every 6weeks. i never do lol i just wash the sponges in old tank water to play safe. i just keep re using my sponges. ever noticed alot of online advices are better and different from what u hear said at pet shops.

Ever noticed alot of online advices are better and different from what u hear said at pet shops.
That's why we have great forums like this one! ;)

thanks for advice. old matey in pet shop said to replace it every 6weeks. i never do lol i just wash the sponges in old tank water to play safe. i just keep re using my sponges. ever noticed alot of online advices are better and different from what u hear said at pet shops.

Old matey wanted you to part with your Money
yes.gif

Im curious tcamos, what are you running in your filter if not using sponges? Thinking of rejigging mine around a wee bit, but always had some form of sponge there.

Not hijacking the post, merely opening the door to suggestions to alternative forms of filtration as poster is looking to change folter media
good.gif

Interestingly enough, Hagen/Fluval is the only manufacturer that I've found to recommend washing out media in used tank water and return to the filter. All others seem to say remove and replace. I believe I'm leaning toward Fluval for a new canister!!

Thanks,
Steve

I've used a fluval canister before and I liked it. They are well build and solid. I say if you wash use the old tank water and not chlorinated water. That way you get rid of the detritus but not all of the bacteria.

Old matey wanted you to part with your Money
yes.gif

Im curious tcamos, what are you running in your filter if not using sponges? Thinking of rejigging mine around a wee bit, but always had some form of sponge there.

Not hijacking the post, merely opening the door to suggestions to alternative forms of filtration as poster is looking to change folter media
good.gif
The planted nano uses a small canister with some ceramic media in it and some carbon that's it. The tank is heavily planted and not heavily stocked so it could actually go without a filter. The other tank is my 210 gallon reef tank and it runs using the Berlin method which is liverock, a skimmer, and cheatomorpha algae in the sump. There's really no place in either system to even stick a sponge. :) Berlin can work on FW though it's generally considered a marine/reef method.

Most reactions

Back