Filter Bacteria?

leviethan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
found one of my filters had been turned off in my 72l tank, the other one that runs by an air pump was still on, as was the heater. Fish look ok, as does water. Noticed it when it got in tonight, so wont have been off more than a day, will there be any bacteria left as the other filter was on, or should i expect problems?

The nitrifying bacteria have a die off rate of about 10% per day when deprived of food as long as they stay wet. One day isn't going to be too noticeable as long as the media didn't dry out.

+1, one day is unlikely to cause a problem, but test water, none the less.

found one of my filters had been turned off in my 72l tank, the other one that runs by an air pump was still on, as was the heater. Fish look ok, as does water. Noticed it when it got in tonight, so wont have been off more than a day, will there be any bacteria left as the other filter was on, or should i expect problems?

just do light feeding, and a water change. things should be ok. lets face it, you will loose far more bacteria during a standard clean.
its hard to give any clear advice as to "die-off, as the truth is we only know the type of bacteria we use, not the exact ones. but it seem O2 is the bit, or lack of, that causes problems, not lack of food.

thanks for fast answers guys. Yeah will do a water change. Been telling people its not ok to unplug so they can charge thier phones and such. Gonna have to put a sign up. Lol thanks again. :)

Most reactions

Back