Filter Advice

MaverickUK20

Reaction score
Hi!

I've kept fish before with some success. I used to use an undergravel filter system.

Recently, I've started a vivarium for a water dragon. I've got a 9 gallon, or 40 litre water part in an L-shape.

The filter, a Fluval 2 plus power filter is up one end of the L-shape, and the water pours through a hose into the other end of the L-shape, so it's filtering all the water. I've got slate chippings in the water area as gravel which is no deeper than an inch. I've got 5 very small tiger barbs in the water to help cycle the water. I only plan to have tiger barbs in the water as I've always thought they're ace!

My question is this? the water is still a bit, like, dusty or greyish/murky. Not too much, but a bit. I've got two different mediums for the Fluval. A carbon inpregnated one and a fine polyester one. I've had the polyester on in for over a week, and the water still isn't crystal. Today, i switched to the carbon one to see if that helps. What do you think. I did a few water changes originally, a couple of full water changes and the water was quite clear, but it's back to being a bit murky again. Especially if I stir the gravel about. What medium would be the best at the moment to get the water crystal.

Also. I sometimes seem to get a bit of a grey film on top of the water. Is there anything to get rid of this? I used tissue paper today to sort of scrape it off which worked, but think it's on it's way back. Is it true that black mollies will get rid of this? Will they be ok with the barbs if I get a few more barbs so they don't pick on the mollies?

I've also got a heater in there too!

Hi!

I've kept fish before with some success. I used to use an undergravel filter system.

Recently, I've started a vivarium for a water dragon. I've got a 9 gallon, or 40 litre water part in an L-shape.

The filter, a Fluval 2 plus power filter is up one end of the L-shape, and the water pours through a hose into the other end of the L-shape, so it's filtering all the water. I've got slate chippings in the water area as gravel which is no deeper than an inch. I've got 5 very small tiger barbs in the water to help cycle the water. I only plan to have tiger barbs in the water as I've always thought they're ace!

My question is this? the water is still a bit, like, dusty or greyish/murky. Not too much, but a bit. I've got two different mediums for the Fluval. A carbon inpregnated one and a fine polyester one. I've had the polyester on in for over a week, and the water still isn't crystal. Today, i switched to the carbon one to see if that helps. What do you think. I did a few water changes originally, a couple of full water changes and the water was quite clear, but it's back to being a bit murky again. Especially if I stir the gravel about. What medium would be the best at the moment to get the water crystal.

Also. I sometimes seem to get a bit of a grey film on top of the water. Is there anything to get rid of this? I used tissue paper today to sort of scrape it off which worked, but think it's on it's way back. Is it true that black mollies will get rid of this? Will they be ok with the barbs if I get a few more barbs so they don't pick on the mollies?

I've also got a heater in there too!

If the tank is new, i think it is common, a bacteria bloom? Make sure ur not overfeeding

Well, do you think the carbon filter or the polyester one?

The polyester one did pick quite a bit of the matter up, I think it's mostly dust from the stones, but it's still not 100% clear so I put the carbon one in. The carbon one seems to be more 'holey' if that makes sense. Will this pick the rest of the dust up or should I shove the polyester one back in?

Any help would really be appreciated guys!

P.S., it was a bit dusty before I even put the food in. If it is a 'bacteria bloom' would it take care of it's self before long? Or do I have to deal with it. If so, how?

The polyester one is better, the cloudiness is just dust from the gravel and will go after a while. Has it gone yet?

Most reactions

Back