Figure 8 Babies

Julesdee

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had my two Figure 8 puffer fish for three years. She has had at least four sets of babies (hundreds of them, but tiny) but none have survived. When I've managed to catch the ones that haven't been eaten I've tried putting them in a separate tank but unfortunately lost those too.
Yesterday She had another batch while I was cleaning out the tank so I've bagged up hundreds of them but left the bag in the tank to keep warm.
I've looked all over the internet about breeding them but it says they don't breed in captivity.... Someone should tell my two!!
Does anyone know what I should feed them and how to look after them? Bare in mind they are only about 2-3 mm long.
Thanks

WOW! Thats incredible! Congratulations! I would try live baby brine shrimp for starters. Take note of all your parameters and anything that could be a breeding stimulus. Strength of lighting? Rockwork? How strong is the current? Tank size? How big are the male and female? Do they have any courtship behaviors? What's the salinity? What are you feeding them? Maybe the babies need freshwater to thrive since this species supposedly breed upriver? Who knows! This is exciting! 

All the best!

Awesome! Please take some photos if possible :))

Congratulations! Post pics, we would love to see them. :D

yes pictures please, if this is true then it is quite momentous.

Pictures would be awesome of babies and parents just to make sure, well i think figure 8's are brackish right? Idk if live baby daphina would work but their freshwater shrimp so they would stay alive until the babies eat it i would think.

Most reactions

Back