Female Betta Found Dead

gazb5590

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I checked my tank this morning to find one of my female bettas floating near the bottom of the tank with her head facing towards the substrate. At first I thought she was eating something off the sand but then I realised she was just floating rather than moving. It was only when I looked closer it seemed as if she had what look like 2 red marks/cuts near her mouth. I've had 7 female bettas and 1 male in the tank now for around about 6+ months and they never ever fight. Sometimes 1 or 2 certain females will flare up to scare 1 of the others away from their territory but it's never vicious and more often than not you'll get 3/4 of the females swimming round together with no chasing or flaring what-so-ever and I've not seen the male betta flare once in months. I recently done a large water change though along with rearrange the tank/add a new large cave and I also added 2 new plecs and 9 kuhli loaches. The problem I have is working out what could have caused the death? All the other fish seem fine and don't seem/look any different at all. Just wondered if anyone knows what could have caused it? IMG-20120930-01074.jpg

IMG-20120930-01075.jpg

Bless Her. Sorry for your loss. :rip:

How many gallons is the tank?
Full stocking list?
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph?

If you want to keep the make betta I suggest buying a tank of his own.
They can kill female betta.

The fish that died did the marks look like injuries, bleeding, bleeding beneath the skin.

Most reactions

Back