Feeding

Funny Pie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i just read on Tetra care that i should feed my fish 2-3 times a day... but then from a LFS i heard that i should feed once a day.. which i've been doing at 3:15 every day. Which should I do and what do you guys do?

It depends on the amount you are feeding. :)

Larger meals once a day are OK but it's better to feed less in smaller portions. Otherwise a massive meal could clog up the fishes' digestive system and cause swimbladder, constipation and more.

smooth_bourbon said:
You have a newt in a community tank?
How does that work for you?
What kind of filtration do you have?
[snapback]903625[/snapback]​

Someone at my LFS told me that he has one too. I have a lil pad at the top set up for him just above the water so he chills up there. He swims around and lays on the top of plants i have that stick out of the water. I take him out everyday and put him in a damp area that i have (kinda like a cheap lil cage that i bought from petco) But i always see which he preffers and i put him next to the aquarium and he always jumps off and swims away. I have a whisper power 30 filteration. Only prob with the newt is getting him to eat, i have worms but he wont touch em

Partly I think it depends on the fish, partly on the fishkeeper's schedule.
Some small omnivores, like guppies, with small tummies, eat very frequently, so probably want to be fed twice or three times a day (but small portions). I feed mine twice a day. Tried three times, but decided that was likely to result in overfeeding, as I wasn't handing out small enough portions.
Fry need to be fed frequently, though I only feed my livebearer fry twice a day, they pick off the plants the rest of the time.
On the other hand, some large predators only need to be fed a couple of times a week.
A lot of fish fall in between, so either once a day or twice a day is fine.
A fasting day a week probably doesn't hurt anyone (except small fry).

dwarfgourami said:
Partly I think it depends on the fish, partly on the fishkeeper's schedule.
Some small omnivores, like guppies, with small tummies, eat very frequently, so probably want to be fed twice or three times a day (but small portions). I feed mine twice a day. Tried three times, but decided that was likely to result in overfeeding, as I wasn't handing out small enough portions.
Fry need to be fed frequently, though I only feed my livebearer fry twice a day, they pick off the plants the rest of the time.
On the other hand, some large predators only need to be fed a couple of times a week.
A lot of fish fall in between, so either once a day or twice a day is fine.
A fasting day a week probably doesn't hurt anyone (except small fry).
[snapback]903639[/snapback]​

thank you :)

As long as you have somewhere for the newt(s) to sit out of the water they should be OK, I wouldn't mix them personally.

I used to feed my newts 3 times a week max as they're quite inactive so don't require too much food.

As for fish, I feed mine 3-4 times a week (every other day). AND NO, I'M NOT STARVING THEM!!!!!!

Good rule of thumb, if the food isn't eaten (apart from algae tabs and similar) within 3 minutes then you're overfeeding your fish.

boxman said:
As long as you have somewhere for the newt(s) to sit out of the water they should be OK, I wouldn't mix them personally.

I used to feed my newts 3 times a week max as they're quite inactive so don't require too much food.

As for fish, I feed mine 3-4 times a week (every other day). AND NO, I'M NOT STARVING THEM!!!!!!

Good rule of thumb, if the food isn't eaten (apart from algae tabs and similar) within 3 minutes then you're overfeeding your fish.
[snapback]903642[/snapback]​

yea the newt has somewhere to chill uptop lol so its all good, im gonna get a seperate thing for him soon

Twice a day normally. I do occasionally miss a feed or if I'm away in London overnight they'll miss out for up to 36 hours. I find because of the mix I have most of the tanks they'll eat each others food and alot of my babes (not babies) are looking rather round. :lol: Happily it's also caused one of my synos to carry eggs and grab the intrest of one of the males. Whether it'll come to anything is yet to be seen.
Hugs,
P.

one pinch of flake every other day with bloodworm/daphnia/cyclops/chopped mussel/fresh chicken/tubiflex (one of those not the whole lot :lol: ) on the other days. they never get the same food twice in a row.

oh and 2 algae wafers 10 mins prior to moonlights coming on.

i usually feed once or twice a day

I give them flakes first, I have like 5 different kinds of flakes

then sometimes i'll give them frozen food a bit later

Most reactions

Back