Feeding Puffer Fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corygirl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i feed ghost shrimp to my green puffer.
i was wondering if i can just put a bunch in his tank and then when they are all gone put in some more?
or do i need to keep a seperate tank for the ghost shrimp and feed one to the puffer every day?

i was wondering if i can just put a bunch in his tank and then when they are all gone put in some more?
or do i need to keep a seperate tank for the ghost shrimp and feed one to the puffer every day?

I wouldn't recommend 1) throwing a bunch in there and letting the puffer "self feed", some puffers will just overeat which is not good for their health 2)feeding your puffer ONLY ghost shrimp is not a good idea either, they really need a varied diet of other foods like snails, bloodworms, mussels, etc. 3)If you are feeding these "feeder shrimp" straight from the LFS you are also running the risk of bringing in disease to your puffer, just like with any live feeder fish.
Do some research on how to care for your puffer and you will find alot of other stuff you can also feed to him to keep him healthy.

Im assuming from Green Puffer you mean a Green Spotted Puffer (Brackish to full marine salt water) If you feed ghsot shrimp then you need to gut load them with veggies first as there is bugger all nutrition in a shrimp for the fish

I wouldn't recommend 1) throwing a bunch in there and letting the puffer "self feed", some puffers will just overeat which is not good for their health 2)feeding your puffer ONLY ghost shrimp is not a good idea either, they really need a varied diet of other foods like snails, bloodworms, mussels, etc. 3)If you are feeding these "feeder shrimp" straight from the LFS you are also running the risk of bringing in disease to your puffer, just like with any live feeder fish.
Do some research on how to care for your puffer and you will find alot of other stuff you can also feed to him to keep him healthy.

i have already researched him, i research every type of fish before i get it :)

...... as there is bugger all nutrition in a shrimp for the fish

?? i dont know what this means?

I thought i was quite clear :unsure:

apologies if i confused you :)

Ah, these English, totally incomprehensible :rolleyes: Translated it means: "The shrimp contains no nutrition for the fish" (unless you gutload it by feeding it- the shrimp- a good diet first)
okay, i feed the shrimp tropical flakes.... assuming that has all the necessary nutrients. i also feed the puffer freeze dried shrimp and blood worms, as well as ocassional frozen bloodworms and guppy fry. i still need to look into the snail thing.

I thought i was quite clear :unsure:

apologies if i confused you :)
no biggie, different parts of the world.... we speak differently.... dont use the same terms.... words have different meaning.... etc.

Ah, these English, totally incomprehensible :rolleyes: Translated it means: "The shrimp contains no nutrition for the fish" (unless you gutload it by feeding it- the shrimp- a good diet first)

i have too green spotted puffers they love! to eat gost shrimp!! i gave mine 10 and they ate all of them in 3 days! also i gave them snails ( have to be size of there eye ) they love those too also frozen shrimp is good. Also just put 5 in the tank every 2 days :nod:

Most reactions

Back