Feeding Plec

dannym

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello again..

I bought 2 sucker fish (think there called plec) from the aquarium today but what do they feed on? I have put fish flakes in there but they dont seem interested?

Thanks..

Danny.

Hello again..

I bought 2 sucker fish (think there called plec) from the aquarium today but what do they feed on? I have put fish flakes in there but they dont seem interested?

Thanks..

Danny.

it depends on the species you bought, if it is a common plec, you can feed it algae wafers or you can just let it eat the algae off of your tank it it will do just fine.

Hello again..

Thanks..

Danny.

it depends on the species you bought, if it is a common plec, you can feed it algae wafers or you can just let it eat the algae off of your tank it it will do just fine.

Actually common plecs need "meat" in their diet as well. You can feed them algae wafers, as well as bottom feeder wafers. They will also appreciate courgette/zucchini (blanch first) on occasion.
A true omnivore that will eat anything. The diet should be primarily vegetarian.
(Quote from planet catfish)

Anyway you can get a pic of your new plec so we might be able to ID it?

Hello again..

Thanks..

Danny.

Bad information. A lot of Pleco starve, because people believe they can live off algae from the tank, and thats that. Totally false. Most of the time there won't be enough algae to provide a sufficient food source for the fish.

Like stated, zucchini, cucumber, algae wafers, sinking pellets, and sinking wafers will work. What size tank do you have? How much where the Plecos?

Hello again..

Thanks..

Danny.

Bad information. A lot of Pleco starve, because people believe they can live off algae from the tank, and thats that. Totally false. Most of the time there won't be enough algae to provide a sufficient food source for the fish.

Like stated, zucchini, cucumber, algae wafers, sinking pellets, and sinking wafers will work. What size tank do you have? How much where the Plecos?

i would love to see where you got that one from, i have had common plec for many many years and have left them alone and only let them eat the algae and they do just fine and live just as long.

Hello again..

Thanks..

Danny.

i would love to see where you got that one from, i have had common plec for many many years and have left them alone and only let them eat the algae and they do just fine and live just as long.

All I can think is, you're overfeeding your other fish and the food is on the bottom. Or, perhaps the tank is getting too much algae somehow?

I must have overfed mine and the tank had very little algae.

he adored oak bark and bloodworms and algae wavers best.

the once a week cucmber never got a miss either.

feed your plec they are lovely to watch . I especially like his mouth with the oak bark in it looked like he had his prized award.

miss him a lot.

I see that in another post you motivate not feeding your plecs by saying it keeps their size down. Please note that this forum is about promoting best fishkeeping practices, giving our fish the best and healthiest life they can have. Anything that stunts the growth can hardly count as best fishkeeping practices. They may survive on this diet, animals can survive very tough conditions, but if they are not growing naturally, that should ring alarm bells. You don't specify how many years your plecs live; as far as I'm aware a healthy plec should have a lifespan of 10 years+.

Hello again..

Thanks..

Danny.

Yeh man bad info, plecs like a variety, algae wafers, zucchini, sweet potato and bloodworms. Plecs need to be fed their own food and wont just live off the algae

Plecs need to be fed their own food and wont just live off the algae

I just wanted to point out that some people may be using "my are plecs are living off algae alone" to mean that they do not specifically feed the plecs any food. But, that does not necessarily mean that the plec only eats algae. It could be feeding on the food being fed to other fish in addition to algae.

I got that information from doing research, and lisening to people on this forum who have knowledge in fish keeping, I advise you to do the same... :nod:

I see that in another post you motivate not feeding your plecs by saying it keeps their size down. Please note that this forum is about promoting best fishkeeping practices, giving our fish the best and healthiest life they can have. Anything that stunts the growth can hardly count as best fishkeeping practices. They may survive on this diet, animals can survive very tough conditions, but if they are not growing naturally, that should ring alarm bells. You don't specify how many years your plecs live; as far as I'm aware a healthy plec should have a lifespan of 10 years+.

and as i have not been specific as to how long my plecs live, i would like to point out that mine has been alive for 11 years and is still health and thriving in his environment, he has not grown an inch since i bought him, i bought him at 4 inches. i also know many people who have had common plec and do not intentionally feed them, it does not stunt there growth, anything can grow if you feed it more than it needs. as to bullrock, i agree with you 100% i believe that the plec will eat extra food that is fed to the other fish and that is why i dont believe that you should feed it extra food, i am not trying to make it seem like i dont want to provide the best for my fish i am just saying that you do not have to feed it directly.

Hi all

I have a 60 Litre tropical tank, The 2 plec i have are around 2 inches long i have put a few images of my tank on here, Sorry if its the wrong place to post...

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

i agree with you 100% i believe that the plec will eat extra food that is fed to the other fish and that is why i dont believe that you should feed it extra food, i am not trying to make it seem like i dont want to provide the best for my fish i am just saying that you do not have to feed it directly.

You just contradicted yourself, you want the best for your pleco but yet you don't feed it properly?

Most reactions

Back